1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup asking me to choose how to run.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lord0fdarkness, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lord0fdarkness

lord0fdarkness Thread Starter

Hi.
    Basicly, when I startup or restart my PC, it asks me to choose how to run it. It gives me a choice between:
    Windows XP Home Edition (Bootscreen)
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Recovery Console.
    This only started happening yesterday, and always happens when I restart or turn it on.
    Could anyone help me to get it back to the way it was before this started happening? I'll give anyone more info if they need it.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Tis screen is usually from trying to do something and it gives you a crash and this is the OS's way of telling you that what ever was done did not work too well.

What was it that you were doing before this happened?

Also some system stat's would really be great like processor, speed, ram etc and any other info that might shed some light on the problem.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try this . .

Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one in invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

4. lord0fdarkness

simpwsr- "It appears that the following line in the BOOT.INI file does not refer to a valid operating system: "C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons" Would you like to remove it from the BOOT.INI file?" Should I?
    ozrom1e- I was using StyleXP to change my Visual Styles, and I created a system restore point.
    Stats:
    Processor- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 995MHz
    Display Card- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
    Memory- 1024MB
    Operating System- Microsoft Windows XP
    Free Disk Space- 71.09GB
    Display Card Memory- 256MB
    Display Driver Version- 6.6.9.3
    DirectX Version- 9.0c
    Optical Drive- DVD
    Sound Card- Realtek AC97 Audio

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Remove it. Somehow you added the Recovery Console to your boot options or maybe style XP does it has a safety precaution. I know it added the other boot up option..

6. lord0fdarkness

I removed it, booted up fine without having to select anything. But when I checked msconfig > boot.ini again, it had just created itself again- which means it asks me how to boot again.

7. lord0fdarkness

Ok, it looks like I've deleted it for good now, and I dont get the option of the Recovery Console- but it still asks me to choose between XP and XP (Bootscreen).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice