Startup Boot Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shinra

:eek:

God help me. I come home from a christmas party and my computer is practically destroyed.

One of my relatives was using it to play solitaire and apparently he shut it down in the normal procedure and it wouldn't turn itself off. It was stuck on the screen "Windows is shutting down".

Everytime I use it afterwars, the following happens:

It takes 50 times as long to get from one screen to another...when it searches for the boot devices, testing memory etc and my hardisk is lighting up like a Christmas tree. It then asks for the boot disk.

Have I lost all my data? What's gone wrong with the registry or my operating system? How can I rectify this problem? I cannot access windows!

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

blues_harp28

Hi..worth trying a system restore..(unlikely to work)
Tap f 8 at start up..choose Last Known Good Configuration..

Shinra

F8 isn't working. You usually press that after the boot drives are checked .

Boot from CD:
Boot from CD:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

williamorc said:
well i can give a shot at the virus you have, its called the CIH virus, it can destroy your hard drive pretty much
Just a question? From the post why do you believe that Chernobyl is involved? :)

Shinra

This thing didn't work on startup. It was useless.
"Non-System disk or disk error
Repace and strike any key when ready"

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ERROR

It didn't have any internet conenctivity last time it was used. And I have Norton Internet Security 06 so I don't believe it is a viral infection.

Shinra said:
:eek: Have I lost all my data? What's gone wrong with the registry or my operating system? How can I rectify this problem? I cannot access windows!
In my opinion before you try any fixes you should try to boot the system with a Knoppix Live CD and rescue your data.

I don't know how much you need to save but if you boot with Knoppix where you can see your hard drive you should be able to save your data to CD's or even better if you have access to an external hard drive or flash drive save the data to that drive. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.