Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Startup Delay after Welcome Screen

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Megalos 
#1 ·
Hello,

Windows 7 is booting normally and after I type my password in the login window the text 'welcome' shows up for 8 seconds or so. Then the screen fades to black. At this point, the only thing I see is the mouse pointer (which I can move). Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work (does not respond). This black screen lasts for about 40 seconds, then Windows finally progresses to the desktop. Before this problem occurred, Windows faded directly into the desktop after the 'welcome' text. Does anyone know how to solve this?

A while ago, I thought I had the solution to the 40 seconds delay by disabling the Workstation Service. But now I notice some things do not work anymore like filesharing via Hamachi or via standard Windows Networks, or joining a Domain. How can I fix the 40 seconds delay without disabling the workstation service?

Additional info:

• Logging in with/without the network cable does not make any difference.

• When Workstation Service is enabled, after entering username and password, the icon in the upper left corner of the welcome screen disappears. But when the Workstation Service is disabled, the icon does not disappear. I don't know whether this is anyhow related to the problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning it.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your answer, Callum. I do not think the problem is related to lots of startup items and low disk space left, since the problem first occurred a couple of days after a freshly installed Windows 7. Now, I have only AntiVirus and a couple of other things in the startup list. 60% of my HDD is used now.

#4 ·
I finally found the solution. For real this time :) . I had a Mapped Network Drive. When I disconnnected it, the problem is gone! The location where it mapped to was a location via Hamachi. I have disabled the autostart of Hamachi, so Windows could not find the destination of the Network Drive. This is the reason, I think, that Windows kept searching for the destination before progressing to the desktop.

When I had Vista, I also had a Mapped Network Drive, also via Hamachi. So that expains why I had the same problems back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.