startup disk problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dexter

My other (much nicer/more expensive) computer is having major problems. I need to reinstall windows, but in order to do that, I need to use the 98 startup disk. Unfortunately, the startup disk is ignored during the boot sequence even though I have floppy as the first booted device. The drive is recognized in DOS but whenever the drive scans the startup disk it gets nothing. I know the disk is good because it works on this win98 computer fine. HELP!!!

Have you tried to clean the floppy drive that it won't work in?

Also make a new one and see if the new one will work.

You don't necessarily need the floppy to reinstall Win98.
In the Windows folder, look for a subfolder called "Options". Then uder that folder there should be one called "Cabs". If you have those folders and the Cabs folder has all your Win98 install files in it, you can simply run "setup" from the folder either from the DOS prompt or from "Start/Run".
If you don't have those folders, create them in the order I mentioned (ie. Windows\Options\Cabs). Then copy all files in the Win98 folder on the CD to the Windows\Options\Cabs folder on your hard drive. Then follow the same proceedure as above to run the setup. It will refresh any missing or corrupt files but it won't "hurt" any installed applications.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online