1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

startup disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hardtimes123, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hardtimes123

hardtimes123 Thread Starter

when starting up with boot up disk, i don't know what to do at A:\ . if i do nothing it just set there. and if i start up with out the boot disk my config.sys and autoexec.bat are empty.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you explain further what you are trying to do? Why are you starting up from a startup disk at all?

3. hardtimes123

when i start up my pc it tells my it can't find my hard drive. and to press f1 to continue or f2 for entering startup so i go f1 and when its finish loading up the config.sys and autoexec.bat are empty. so i try startup disk it stills tells me it can't find my hard drive but i still try booting up with disk and when it get to A:\ i don't know what to do..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If your hard drive is not being detecting you need to either replace the hard drive and/or boot from the Windows CD or DVD(not a floppy unless you are using Windows 98 or older.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

If your startup is not detecting the hard drive you have to resolve that problem. Starting up on a floppy is not going to ever fix a hard drive.

At startup you should press the keys to get you into the BIOS. You if you can't see the hard drive there you have hardware issues (drive, power, or cabling.)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and model number of your computer?

What Windows version is it running?

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. hardtimes123

sorry took so long getting back-i have a dell dimension 2350 model #mmp serial #cczcxe running windows 98se. ok here we go. my hard drive is not detected but my computer it will startup, it all started with it stsrting to run really slow and then is when my hard drive could not be found i ran a antivuris every thing ok i do not have a antispyware on my computer and wiht it runnning the way it is it won't upload one.so what i have is a super slow pc that can't find its hard drive..but if you can tell me how to get in to my BIOS would be a great help.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How can the computer run if it can't find the hard drive? You're not providing the full or accurate information.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

10. hardtimes123

this is y i want to know what to type after the A:\ to get me into windows to see if my config.sys and autoexec.bat have any code in them. because if i don't use the start disk there is no code in my config and autoexec. i just want to see! HOW IT LOAD UP WITH NO HARD DRIVE DETECTED I DO NOT KNOW, i just want to try this/ is there is something i can type after the A:\

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't really need anything in those files, Windows can load with them being blank.

If Windows is loading then it must be detecting the hard drive. Why do you think it's not detecting the hard drive?

12. hardtimes123

when i start it up i get one beep and on screen it said primeary hard drive not found press f1 to continue or f2 to go to startup

13. ChuckE

ChuckE

There is no modern windowed OS (operating system) that fits on a floppy. You can't boot up on a floppy and type something that is going to get you into Windows, at least not Win98, nor anything newer) without having access to a larger capacity medium, such as your hard drive, or a flash drive, or an optical drive (that's a CD or DVD).

Win98 probably requires (just guessing here) at least 10 to 20 megabytes (MB), and that's just to boot up. A floppy has barely more than just 1 MB. Heck, I remember when I used to install Win3 (long time ago, long before Win98) and it took a set of 23 floppies just to install it! Whereas a more modern OS, like Win7, I wouldn't even think a 10 gigabyte (GB) drive would hold all you need (10GB = 10,000 MB). I remember I once installed WinVista on a 20GB drive and there was no room left to do much of anything else.

As for having a config.sys and/or autoexec.bat, neither is used in Windows Vista or Windows 7. I think back in the Win98 and WinME days it may have been pretty much on the way out also, since they were useful in preloading drivers, and such, before getting into the OS that was built onto MS DOS. Modern OS'es are not built on MS DOS, and thus do not use them, unless you need some old programs to run that require MS DOS.

Back in the days of Win3 (and even before that, ... I even used Windows before there was a number associated with it, "Win1"?) and Win95 some systems might get you into the MS DOS mode, and then you'd have to type "win" to get into Windows. That is not how it works anymore.

Just find out what is wrong with your hard drive. If it needs to be replaced then you will need to reinstall the Windows OS on that hard drive. But one way or the other you are going to need a hard drive.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It sounds as if you have a hardware failure, so using a floppy likely isn't going to do anything for you until you address the hardware/hard drive issue - and that generally means replacing the hard drive. Based on the age of this computer, you're best bet is to replace the whole computer even if its with a newer but used Windows XP computer, but preferably a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC.

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Dimension 2350 desktop is designed to run Windows XP.

(Note: Most of its device drivers are dated 2003)

Why is it running Windows 98SE? :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice