1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup duplications on the list

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Wizzm, Aug 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wizzm

Wizzm Thread Starter

I have Windows 98 with updates, McAfee 5.10, and Download Wonder(a download management thing).

When I went to MS System Information\System Configuration Utility\Startup to trim down my startup list, I noticed for the first time that I had duplications of programs on the list. Then I compared the list with 2 previous startup lists on screen print outs that I happened to have in my files.

The first 2 lists showed among other things 2 each of LoadPowerProfile, Vshwin32EXE, and McAfeeWebScanX. They were all checked. I think I unchecked the last 2. Then today I noticed that Download Wonder got a 2nd checked one added and Vshwin32EXE and McAfeeWebScanX both got a 3rd checked one added. LoadPowerProfile stayed the same at 2.

Do these get added to the list during an upgrade? Do they boot up twice during startup? I know it's nice to keep an item on the list in case I want to check them again later, but how do I get the duplicates deleted after I uncheck them?

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

[This message has been edited by Wizzm (edited 08-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Wizzm (edited 08-26-2000).]

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

It is my conclusion that any program installed which adds a shortcut to your StartUp folder also ends up in System Configuration.

The only way I have been able to remove an item is if it is already in the StartUp folder. I remove the check mark in System Configuration, Apply, OK, Reboot. Then check in the Disabled StartUp items. If it shows up there I can right click the shortcut and delete it. Then I go back into System Configuration to verify it is gone.

Sometimes, you just can't get it to show up in the StartUp folder or if you do, it just creates a second entry.

Load power profile does have two entries and they should remain checked, along with Systray (Though the clock always runs whether this is checked or not). Right now I am running with everything unchecked and have not noticed any changes good, bad or indifferent in performance.

3. Wizzm

Wizzm Thread Starter

I now spend so much of my time cruising around this bb that I just got around to absorbing your response to mine here. I have a couple of questions due to my ignorance. Exactly where is the "Startup folder" you refer to? I only know about the one that I have the check marks in in the startup tab in the sys. config. utility and the list in Startup Programs shown in MS System Information.

Also where is the "Disabled Startup items" you referred to?

I have rechecked the 2nd Load Power Profile entry.

Several of the entries seem to be connected to McAfee VirusShield during startup, VirusScan schedule, and the Scheduled Tasks which I guess I need to keep checked to work.

BTW do you get a notice of this response of mine by e-mail like I do on my posts?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

In answer to your last question, if I had clicked on the Track Topic button at the lower left hand of the screen, I could get an e-mail for everyone who responds to the thread. Otherwise, no I don't.

The StartUp and Disabled StartUp folders should be located in Start>Programs. Look for them alphabetically unless you have rearranged them otherwise.

You can test my theory by going to the StartUp folder, right click, select Open or Explore and creating a shortcut, Rebooting and checking in msconfig to see if the shortcut program has ended up there.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The way they get added twice is this. If you use Msconfig to disable certain programs that have their own built in options for running at Startup, you will end up with more than one entry since they immediately re-add themselves after you disable them. Sometimes not until after a restart and/or an execution of that particular program. To get rid of most of them you need to delete the registry entries, obviously leaving one for each program so they still run at startup. To stop this from happening, if you want to disable them, go into the program and use the options in it to disable them rather than Msconfig. The registry entries can be found here, Start>Run,key in Regedit and press enter. Double left click on each entry in the left pane. After you've double left clicked on Run in the left pane you will see the startup entries in the right pane.

HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run

HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>RunServices

Just right click on an entry in the right pane and select Delete to remove the duplicate entries that are selected to run at startup from the Run section.

Or delete any entries in here, which will be the Disabled duplicate entries you're seeing in msconfig.

HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run-

BTW, EaFiedler is correct about the "Disabled Startup Items" folder but that only applies to programs that use a shortcut in the Startup folder to run at Startup. Most nowadays use a registry entry though there are still some common exceptions like MS Office.

The third place to look would be in win.ini for duplicate noload= or load= statements, but they usually don't occur.

Just so you know, Run and RunServives both execute at Startup but at different times. RunServices is what I would describe as a "Machine Level" run. Eccentially prior to Windows having been loaded. And Run tasks are loaded after Windows has loaded but before the GUI is displayed to the user. Good Luck.

Now that I have said all of that, from what I understand, <a href=http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?b=pcm&fcode=000YKL> StartupCop</a> deletes the entries for you and can be used for W95 or W98. At least I've been told it deletes them. You'd have to try it.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 08-24-2000).]

6. Wizzm

Wizzm Thread Starter

This has all been quite an education for me.

I had put the Startup folder and Disabled Startup Items folders in a "Seldom Used Programs" sub menu folder when I organized the start menu to get rid of the long sub menus going up and down.

I noticed that in MS System Info>Software Environment>Startup Programs, it shows that one of the duplicate entries is loaded from "Registry(Machine Run)" and the other from "Registry(Machine Service)" and I connected that with what you said, bhesson.

I elected to download the "StartupCop" and try it out. Now I'll be busy for awhile to digest all this info and try everything out.

Many thanks to you both.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice