1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Error - Help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by battousai386, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. battousai386

battousai386 Thread Starter

I have been having a lot of issues with my computer today. First, it froze up on me, so I had to restart it. After I restarted my computer, the Windows load screen comes up, but after it goes away it just gives me a black screen. No login screen or anything. So, I just restart again, and the same thing happens. Now when I try to restart it brings me to a screen that says exactly this "American Megatrends. AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+. Checking NVRAM.." Is there anything that I can do to get this to stop? Has my hard drive been "wiped" and have I lost all my files?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. 1069

Hi,

Switch on and constantly tap f8.
    When you get presented with the options try "Last Known Good Configuration".

If this fails .....can you boot up in Safe Mode from the same list of options?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It looks like the CMOS memory has 'forgotten' the Bios settings, this can happen if the motherboard battery is nearly exhausted.
    If this is the cause it's not a serious problem and it's easy to fix.

If your computer is a Desktop you can open it up and fit a new battery yourself, they are usually round CR2032 lithium 3 Volt type, looks like a silver coin about 3/4 inch diameter.
    Details and pics here :- http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp
    I would take the old one with you if you go for a new one, just to be sure you get the correct type.

If it's a Laptop I'm not sure about the battery, hopefully someone who knows more about laptops will post about that.

EDIT : just read 1069's post, try that first, if it works the battery is probably ok, if it doesn't work I would think it is the battery causing the problem

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You haven't lost your files. It actually would take quite a while to erase them all so they couldn't be recovered.

Do you have an XP CD?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!