1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tokfaan, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tokfaan

Tokfaan Thread Starter

Alright so my PC has decided to not cooperate with me anymore. I installed this firewall program and was promted to reboot, which i did and now i get to the login screen (or actually just before the actual loginscreen where it says that windows is starting or whatever) and there it just sists.

The firewall program in question was one i don't remember the name of... System Firewall perhaps? Was part of another thing called Malwareguard or something like that. I dunno if i should suspect foul files or whatever but it's the last thing i did so who knows...
    Also during the first startup after the system asked me to reboot after installing the firewall a dialouge came up saying that it was going to scan my external HDD for file-consistensy. I aborted the scan thinking it was just a minor error. Could it have had something to do with it?

So right now i'm considering using these 4 recovery discs i got when i bought the PC, but i'd rather not risk formatting the HDD and losing all my files. However my brother helped me set up the PC in two partitions when i first got it, one strictly for system (OS, apps etc) and one for everything else (such as media, games and all around "good to have" stuff). So what i wanna know is-

1. Is there anything i can do to try to restore my system without using the recovery discs (which i assume format)?
    2. If i do have to restore my system using these discs, will my "Stuff" partition be out of harms way and everything on it kept while the system one will be wiped and recovered?

My system is a WinXP Media Center PC with a core 2 duo 1.86ghz processor. It's a bit over two years old now.

Any help and/or tips is greatly appreciated.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Have you tried booting Windows in Safe Mode??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice