1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LazyScorcese, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazyScorcese

LazyScorcese Thread Starter

I've seen alot of posts about this issue, but mine seems somewhat unique. Let me try and describe the problem in the most organized way possible. Windows is freezing at the startup screen. I can get to the login screen if I use any of the safemode options, but once I put in my password and attempt to log in it says loading settings and freezes there. The cause of this problem could be any number of things that went terribly wrong last night. The first issue I had last night was a virus I caught on my system from a video on the website stupidity.com...ironic. This virus, although I don't remember the name, caused dll's that firefox uses to dissappear randomly. I attempted to run a virus scan to fix the issue, but the windows kept freezing. While I was in the promise of attempting to find this virus, I was also attempting to uninstall a Dealio toolbar from my internet explorer browser. During the uninstall process, the system would freeze for about 30 seconds, and then move again, and then freeze again and so on. Earlier in the night I had run spysweeper and deleted some missing registry files, again I can't recall what these were. I'm not sure which of these three problems caused this issue, or maybe a combination of all three; I was hoping some of you would be able to help me out.

2. LazyScorcese

Also, I tried the "last known good configuration" option to no avail. Same problem there. I have no idea where my XP disc is so any option using that i'm out of luck on

3. LazyScorcese

Thank you for all of your help. Your caring flood of responses have warmed my heart.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice