1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup help, OSX on a powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Stefs05, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefs05

Stefs05 Thread Starter

My computer was working fine until a few days ago, when I tried to start it up and all it would do is display a flashing question mark. I put in the OSX install disk, and it will get to the third step and stops. Any idea what I can do?

2. macguru

macguru

ok you need to rtun the disk utility program in your OS X install disk see if your hard drive is ok....sounds like something may be wrong with that in hardware.......check it's smart status

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

that means the computer is trying to find your start up system folder. You will need to boot it up from an apple CD. If you have the original CD that came with the machine that would be great. Depending on your operating system, you are going to do either one of these things. If you are in Classic system 8.6 thru system 9.2, when it boots from the CD (start the computer from a cd by holding down the C button down when it starts up until it boots) look in the apple menu on the left and select startup disk from control panels just check the folder your system is on and reboot.

OSX, boot from a CD like I mentioned above. When the system boots go to the apple menu on the left and select system preferences. The system preferences will open select startup disk a window will open select on of the start up volumes make sure it is highlighted and then reboot. That should fix that problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice