1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup in MSCONFIG Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by parrotplay, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parrotplay

parrotplay Thread Starter

In XP, in MSCONFIG, under the Startup Tab, I have not added these items myself. I would like to know how these items get added when I am not adding them myself. I really want to know how to remove the ones I do not want there. Actually, some are things that have long since been removed or deleted, not being used at all. I would like info on managing this, taking control over what is added, what is not. And to remove those I do not want there.."keen value" included on the start up list.

I also would like to know the same, but in regards to the Task Bar, right clicking on it brings up properties. When I click on "hide inactive icons" a list is on the next page. I do not understand how to use this and want to clean up the list to leave what is current, remove what is not. And want to know how these items get added to this list, when I am not adding any myself.
    Thanks for all help and advice. It is very appreciated....parrotplay :eek:

2. Firah

Firah

Hi, parrotplay!

Go HERE.

This page explains what all those startup items are, so you can uncheck those you don't want to start at startup.

If you want to remove the entries:
    Backup the Registry. Type regedit in the Run box.
    Delete them from these keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Also, download Spybot Search&Destroy and Addaware and run them.

3. Firah

Firah

Those items on the Taskbar will disappear once they are remover in MSCONFIG.

4. parrotplay

parrotplay Thread Starter

Hi..thanx for your help and am working on it...need to ask you if you know why I would be getting email notifications from posts that I have nothing to do with...from Random and am getting all sorts of replies for ... things not written by me. Do you know what direction I should go in to get to the bottom of this? Thanx...Leeann/parrotplay :confused:

5. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

you have probly posted on them or suscribed to them check the options you have checked under USER CP which is not far below the TECHGUY LOGO.

6. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

oh and FIRAH THNX for that info now i can remove some oldies.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice