1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by geoff220657, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoff220657

geoff220657 Thread Starter

Hi
    I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have at startup.

I am using Vista.

The machine boots up perfectly and displays the desktop but before I am able to do anything, everything dissapears leaving only the wallpaper which is then replaced by a completely white screen. The cursor is still visible and operating on the white screen but nothing happens.

Thanks

Geoff

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So the screen never comes back? I would try booting into safe mode. You definitely should be able to get to your desktop in safe mode. There you can disable programs that start on startup and find which is the problem.

Typically, to boot into safe mode, when you start your computer, continuously press f8 until a boot screen comes up. There will be a lot of options and at the top you with have safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. You can just do safe mode. In safe mode, hit the windows key + r and a screen with appear. Type msconfig and hit enter. At this screen, go to the startup tab and take note of each program that is checked. Then, select disable all. This will uncheck all items. Reboot the computer and see if you can get to your desktop.

3. geoff220657

geoff220657 Thread Starter

Have tried to boot in safe mode on 3 occasions...It lets me choose which version of safe mode to use and then starts to boot but as soon as the desktop is revealed it kicks me out and tries to boot in normal mode which results in the usual problem!

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Have you tried to do a system restore or last known good configuration?

Last known good configuration should be in the boot menu where safe mode is. This is a saved copy of your computer the last time you were able to successfully log into the computer. Hopefully, this problem that you are having isn't considered a good last known configuration, otherwise it won't work. I would try it and let me know how that goes.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I looked on my computer and the last known good configuration is in the advanced boot menu where safe mode is. For the system restore or recovery options, you will have to hit a different f key to get to these. On my computer, it is f11 to get to recovery options, but yours is probably different. I would just mess around with them. System restore might not be an option, but you should have an option for recovery options or system restore.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!