1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Managers - Process Customization?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lifematrix, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifematrix

lifematrix Thread Starter

Recently, I've been trying to educate and re-familiarize myself about startup programs, startup manager programs, process manager programs and the like. And even though I consider myself rather computer literate, all that info started to feel a bit overwhelming.

In particular, I found the Start-up Applications; Do You Really Need All of Them? page on Pacman's Portal to be very educational. And I greatly appreciated the list of startup manger programs near the bottom of the page. I even found a few that was not on that list and I was surprised that so many existed.

Question:
    Do any of you know of a startup/processs manager that allows in-depth customization of startups and/or processes which are to be automatically allowed or temporarily disabled automatically? By that, I mean a program with the option to create and save custom profiles and then load said profiles later for particular situations?

Example:
    Say I want maximum protection while I'm online and browsing, so I want my antivirus, anti-spyware, and various "automatic update" process to run in the background. But later, I decided to play a very memory and CPU intensive game offline and my PC specs barely fit the requirements, so I want all the extra resources I can get. So, I'd prefer a program in which I could create "Safe Browsing" and "Game Mode" profiles, the latter of which would disable those startup apps and background processes while I'm gaming. I'd prefer such to allow the changes without rebooting, but either way would be useful.

I have already checked out all the [free] startup manager programs mentioned on Pacman's Portal (and then some), but I could not find this feature specifically mentioned. But then, I haven't tried many of these yet or read their full manuals. (And not all of these seem to have full instructions.) I'm just asking here in the hope I won't have to try them all out to find what I'm looking for...

Edit:
    Ah, perhaps I should have posted this to "General Security" instead? Can this topic be moved there?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice