1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Menu Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kipolomew, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kipolomew

Kipolomew Thread Starter

Hello! I use Chrome for pretty much everything I do on my home computer and up until a few weeks ago, everything was fine. Recently, however, when I try to watch videos (especially on Hulu, but it's happened elsewhere), I'll get the initial advertisement and then the video will just sit and load and never come up. I used to use Internet Explorer, so I tried going back to that and it will allow me to watch videos. I checked my Windows Task Manager, noticed the multiple chrome.exe and high mcshield.exe CPU usage, but after reading up on it a little bit, I'm not sure that that's the issue. I did read a similar post about unnecessary startup menu items and was wondering if I could get advice on both that and the video issue. I use Windows XP on a 2 year old Acer.

Adobe ARM
    Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    Akamai NetSession Interface
    Alcmtr
    AzMixerSel
    CrossRiderPlugin
    DivXUpdate
    Facebook Update
    Google Update
    HotKeysCmds
    IMJPMIG8.1
    IgfxTray
    InterVideo WinCinema Manager
    M3000Mnt
    MSMSGS
    MSPY2002
    McAfee Security Scan Plus
    PHIME2002ASync
    Persistence
    QuickTime Task
    RTHDCPL
    SunJavaUpdateSched
    TkBellExe
    WhiteSmoke Translator
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini KIPCOMP\Kip Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    eRecoveryService
    mcui_exe

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Kip

2. pip22

pip22

Apart from Chrome itself, you will have additonal instances of chrome.exe running for each tab and for each extension that's loaded. If you have many extensions installed in Chrome, you may want to try disabling some too see if that improves your video playback.

If it was caused by having too many items in your startup list, that would affect all web-browsers equally because all those items start when Windows starts, irrespective of which web browser you use.

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Not necessarily. Chrome multi-process design means you're using additional resources for every tab or plug in, so it could be freezing up from insufficient memory or CPU.
    I know I had constant lockups when I tried out Chrome. CPU was constantly maxed if I had more than 1 tab.
    I would try a different browser to see if it does the same thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice