1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

startup msg 1% to 2% 1%2%???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by janad22, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janad22

janad22 Thread Starter

Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I hope that I'm doing this correctly. I have looked through your archives and have not found this topic or solution so here goes...

I have win me, Dell 8100 pent 4, 256mb pc800rdram

This is the problem: Upon startup, I receive this message:

Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1 %2. This reports 2 more times then it reads: Windows could not upgrade one or more system files before starting. Windows might not start or run properly. If windows fails to start run setup again. Press any key to continue. This I do, and then it loads fine.

I have checked Microsofts database for this issue and it reads to go to my start/search/wininit.dll and after its searching, it is not listed.

I believe this happend during some printer problems i was experiencing and HP informed me to download a patch, which i did and then this began happening. I'm not sure now how to proceed, plus my printer still is not working properly.

I hope I've covered this issue completely for you. I'd hate to start off on a bad note here. :)

Thank you very much for any help you may offer me

2. brindle

brindle

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. janad22

janad22 Thread Starter

Hi Rollin,

Thank you for your quick reply to me, but that is what i searched for.....my mistake in printing. I did the search for wininit.ini and came back with zip! I also know about the symantec thing, and that's not it either.....so.....still stuck out here.....is there another place I could possibly find the wininit.ini file?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's have a look at a HijackThis Startuplist (not the Scanlog).

To show the startuplist, run HijackThis, click Config > Misc Tools > Generate Startuplist and copy/paste the results here.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

You can also post the Scanlog too if you want, there may be some things there that need fixing that don't really relate to the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!