Startup Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chopin1810

I'm working on a 7 year old Dell XPS R450,which has been working fine until now. When you press the power button, the monitor refuses to turn on. You can press the monitor's power button, but it still refuses. The computer just sits there, as you wait for the POST beep (which never comes).
Now, if you wait a couple of days, it will work fine. But then eventually the same startup issue occurs.
I have much experience in the computer industry, and have no ideas as to what could be wrong, though I'm starting to think that the system may be in it's final hours.
Any thoughts?

From your description of "powering on" is it safe to assume that you have the type of Power Supply that allows you to 'piggy-back' the monitor to it so that you have one-touch turn on???

Have you tried connecting the monitor separately and checking its power ability?

That would also allow you to check the Power On of the PC by itself. I'm betting that when it doesn't Beep, neither the Fans nor anything else startup either.

This would primarily indicate a Power Supply or Power-on Switch problem to me.

It's unclear to me what you me by, "Now, if you wait a couple of days, it will work fine."

Does this me you totally leave it alone...not even trying to power it on?

What if you only wait an Hour or two?

This could indicate an OVERCURRENT (short) situation that overheats the PS and pops the Thermal Protection switch, which can reset itself after it cools down. Also some PS's reset when the manual on/off switch is cycled.

So, can you check these possibilities out and elaborate a little more on the particulars of what is taking place. Thanks.

chopin1810

I replaced the power supply. Still the same issue. I've tried plugging the monitor directly to an outlet, still the same issue. And yes, when I say "leave it alone", I mean that I don't try anything with it for a couple of days, wait only a few hours and it still won't work.

If you replaced the power supply was it new or a known good PSU? Have you tried the monitor on another system or another monitor on yours? Another thought, have you tried resetting your processor? I am not sure if this could cause this problem but, when was the last time you changed the CMos battery? Does your prossesor fan come on?

I prettty much have the same problem too.. gonna replace power supply; but it's a pretty crappy brand. Does anyone know if MGE is any good?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online