1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krsone, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krsone

krsone Thread Starter

Recently when I'm booting up Windows XP my hard drive light stays on and the computer is slow for at least 20 minutes. I can do work but it is very slow and then after about 20 minutes when the hard drive light goes off everything seems to be fine. I've checked my Startup Sequence through msconfig and unchecked anything that looked unnecessary. I've also done a Virus scan, a Spyware scan, a disk cleanup and a disk defragmentation and it keeps doing it. Is there any type of utility that I could use that would show me what the hard drive is doing and maybe make it stop? Thanks a lot for any help!

Patrick

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are AV or malware scans scheduled for startup? Check Task Manager and see what is busy.

3. krsone

krsone Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

>Are AV or malware scans scheduled for startup?

No, should they be? I have Spybot which I run from time to time, would you recommend that? Should I add it to Startup, how do you do that?

>Check Task Manager and see what is busy.

I tried that and only one program popped up and that was for my ISP which is normal. Once it went away the Task Manager was blank the whole time until I loaded up this webpage, the hard drive light is actually still going as I type this.

The Task Manager had always around 80 processes going and the only one that seemed to take up a lot of the CPU was the System Idle Process. I'm not sure if all that is normal or not.

Thanks again for any help.

Patrick

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What program does the ISP have?

Look at the schedule for you AV just to be sure that it doesn't scan on startup.

You coulkd also look as the Windows Task Scheduler to see what is scheduled. And, as always, run a disk check.

Are you on a network?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice