1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup problems/The System has recovered from a serious error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sakic19, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sakic19

Sakic19 Thread Starter

HI guys, first time poster here, dropped in via google.

Ok so here goes....

For the last 4 weeks or so I have been having problems starting up my computer. It freezes on the password screen, it automatically restarts, usually takes me about 4 attempts to get my computer up and running. Then, when I finally do get it going it gives me a message saying:

THE SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A SERIOUS ERROR

I sent off my error report and a screen opened up with a few recommendations, such as running diagnostic tests on certain softwares, and trying a system restore, which I did but to no avail.

I googled and found a thread on this site in which someone helped a user with a similar problem to mine, so I followed the instructions and have the last 4 minidumps here in a folder. I have no real clue what to do from here, so I was wondering - if I could upload them could someone take a quick look and tell me what's wrong please?

Also - once the computer has eventually started up succesfully and is settled, I can use everything fine except for once program, a pc game which I have since uninstalled.

Hope someone can help me out here, I would be extremely grateful because it's giving me a headache.

Thanks in advance,

Sakic19

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Could you elaborate on this. What post did you review? What IS your problem (besides the crashes), do you have any error messages.

You should go ahead and post the LAST dump in your next reply, perhaps someone can run a debugger on it. (At least we'll get the crash error).

3. Sakic19

Sakic19 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

That dump is corrupt.

Start with the hard disk. Boot with your XP CD, and run recovery console, then run 'chkdsk /p'.

Let me know of any errors from the result of chkdsk please.

5. Sakic19

Sakic19 Thread Starter

Now then, this is interesting......

I deleted the pc game which was malfunctioning.

I then did this:

Go to System properties (win key+pause/break), select Advanced > Startup and recovery and ensure "automatically restart" is NOT checked.

switched off my pc, and started it up again. It started with no problems other than this message:

Error loading w0344a13.dll

The specified module could not be found

No struggles, no system has recovered from a serious error message.

Previously it restarted itself 4 times before it would let me use the computer, I've had the blue screen and clipping or warping of screen content but when I restarted it moments ago to try and get the details of the error message it let me on fine and I couldn't get the details. I wish I could offer a little more information but that's all I have right now.

6. Sakic19

Sakic19 Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks

7. Sakic19

Sakic19 Thread Starter

One more thing - do I want to use the product recovery cd-rom for XP for that?

Will it affect my documents in any way?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice