Startup Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hoyunah

Thread Starter
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
11
I just updated everything. My mobo drivers, my bios, my video drivers, my audio, everything. As soon as i updated my bios my computer reset for no reason and then it sounded like it was loading up but nothing happened. I turned off and tried again, the fan turned on the cd rom was spinning but no POST, no beeps. The only way it works is if I pull the power cord out for like 5 secs so that the light on the mobo goes out. Then I put it back in and it works but after I shut it off again it does the same thing. No POST and does nothing.
Someone please help me.
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
51,988
Are you sure you used the correct BIOS update? Why did you update the BIOS?

You may want to return to the older version, but first check all the settings in the CMOS setup. Updates sometimes change those back to defaults. Or you may want to set it at default to see if that helps.

Did the update complete without problems?
 

Hoyunah

Thread Starter
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
11
I updated Bios beacuse the computer was restarting occasionally while playing hardware heavy games. The update when quickly and no problem. I thought everything was fixed i restarted and then when i went to play guild wars the computer reset and thats when i started having the problem.
How do i check CMOS settings?
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
51,988
It sounds like the problem may be the same as the original one, and that sounds like a problem with the display adapter and/or its drivers. Try another card, if available, or try completely removing the drivers, old and new, and install the new ones fresh. Use one of these to completely remove the old drivers:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3233
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3214

You still may want to check the CMOS settings. A good place to start would be to set everything to default (there is usually a message at the bottom telling what key does that).

When you first boot the machine, is there a message that says to press some key to enter setup? If so, that's it.
 

Hoyunah

Thread Starter
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
11
I switched vid cards from a geforce to Radeon and i made sure i deleted Nvidia drivers. So its not that. I'm gonna try resetting CMOS hopefully that will work.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
If you can't POST, it isn't likely the video drivers as you noticed.

Are you still able to get to your CMOS settings?
If so, is there a Default you can set it back to?
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
51,988
Your original problem of restarting was probably due to the video drivers.

Have you had any luck accessing the CMOS as I already recommended before the piggyback post?
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
I'm not exactly sure what specific video drivers you would need to POST, where you would load them, and how would this help solve the problem of not even geting beeps?
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
51,988
Bob Cerelli said:
I'm not exactly sure what specific video drivers you would need to POST, where you would load them, and how would this help solve the problem of not even geting beeps?
Did you read the thread at all? The machine was restarting when playing games. What is so difficult to understand?
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
Hoyunah said:
I just updated everything. My mobo drivers, my bios, my video drivers, my audio, everything. As soon as i updated my bios my computer reset for no reason and then it sounded like it was loading up but nothing happened. I turned off and tried again, the fan turned on the cd rom was spinning but no POST, no beeps. The only way it works is if I pull the power cord out for like 5 secs so that the light on the mobo goes out. Then I put it back in and it works but after I shut it off again it does the same thing. No POST and does nothing.
Someone please help me.
Seems pretty clear right from the very first post - "no POST, no beeps" and "No POST and does nothing".

And "I switched vid cards from a geforce to Radeon" also didn't work. Which would also make sense given the symptoms.

I'm not aware of a system that needs video drivers in order to POST. It would be a bit of a Catch-22 if you did.
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
51,988
No one said that drivers were needed to post. That is a separate problem.

So far, you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread except to confuse the issue and attempt to cause trouble.

It appears you intend to continue with your old habits.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
Bob Cerelli said:
If you can't POST, it isn't likely the video drivers as you noticed.

Are you still able to get to your CMOS settings?
If so, is there a Default you can set it back to?
I'm not sure why my first post was causing either confusion or trouble. In reading, you somewhat suggested the same thing ;-)
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Top