1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cronin4392, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cronin4392

cronin4392 Thread Starter

When i had XP:
    turn on computer wouldn't post-restarted, BIOS crashed- restarted, XP crashed- then i would restart again and XP would be fine.(note: this would happen in random order i.e. sometimes it would other times it wouldn't.)

I just installed windows vista and when i booted it up it kept having memory errors(not sure of the reference number right now) but it had to do with explorer crashing and not having enough memory to run the sidebar, i was also not able to get the the task manager. I restarted a few times and and i kept getting the sidebar error. Sometimes this occurs but my computer doesn't crash. the sidebar is still functioning, but i can not access my task manger and i can only see the desktop background and sidebar. i looked to see if my Ram was fully inserted. i noticed that my second stick was not fully inserted (only the bottom side was plugged in). I took both out and reinserted them. This didn't seem to fix the problem. After a few more restarts i was able to get it to work, but it only worked for around 1 minute. Then every thing freezes and i cant click anything and task manager would not work. after the screen freezes my desktop disappears but i cant still move my mouse.

another time when i started it up it got past the BIOS and it just went to a black screen and "______" going across the whole screen(one row).

2. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

only plug in one gig of ram and try it. defo sounds like a ram problem. 3 gigs of the same ram?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice