1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

startup programs in windows xp...help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MMcDev14, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just have one question - how do I delete these programs (taht always come on during startup) from the "notification area" in the bottom right corner. How can I make it so they never show up again - I went to the taskbar/star menu options - and then "customize notifications" and it seems you can only "hide them" or something? however there is a "Past Items" category with notifications that used to show up, or do so not on a regular basis - for instance "there are unused shortcuts on your desktop" and such.

Basically, I just need to know how to make it so these notifications don't always show up.
    Thanks

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

I'm just looking to remove 2 or 3 - one of them is quicktime - it always shows up.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

msconfig

5. bobol

bobol

go to start/ run -type msconfig... in the startup tab, uncheck the quicktime reference, then Reboot... this is a 'selective' startup from now on, so at restart you'll see a notification type dialog box that you can check to not be notified of this startup mode at every login. (y)

Also, open up quicktime, go to top toolbar... click Edit/Preferences/ then Quicktime preferences and uncheck system tray reference..... In fact your other Programs should have a similar edit option somewhere to remove their icons from the system tray. ;)

[oh evil.... my 666th post here at techguy!!!!]
    :mad:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. bobol

bobol

timely post etaf, i was just looking for good startup sorter tools for someone else here too :D

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome - got you off 666 :)

9. bobol

bobol

lol -----good one (y)

10. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

hey thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it, the msconfig rings a bell - I think I remmeber somethign like that in windows 98

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep same product in win98, me, xp.
    win2k does not have it - but you can download and install it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!