1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup Programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sunkist, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunkist

Sunkist Thread Starter

Here is a copy of my start up programs.
    Os is XP, 3.2ghz,
    I sure could use some help in finding out which programs I could uncheck so they are not running.
    I only want programs running that I have to have, I know some of programs I could start manual which is fine.
    My old pc OS 98se I know which ones to uncheck, but now I have this new pc with XP and I am not sure which ones to uncheck.
    Thank you for any help

AIM c:\progra~1\aim\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl SUNKIST\Florene HKU\S-1-5-21-113213981-808136121-2759098208-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ATIModeChange ati2mdxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ATIPTA c:\program files\ati technologies\ati control panel\atiptaxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AsioReg regsvr32.exe /s ctasio.dll All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTDVDDet c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy2\dvdaudio\ctdvddet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTHelper cthelper.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTSysVol c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy2\surround mixer\ctsysvol.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    DESKTOP desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    DESKTOP desktop.ini SUNKIST\Florene Startup
    DESKTOP desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    DESKTOP desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    DVDSentry c:\windows\system32\dsentry.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    IAAnotif c:\program files\intel\intel application accelerator\iaanotif.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCAgentExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCUpdateExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MPFExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\person~1\mpftray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NeroCheck c:\windows\system32\\nerocheck.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCMService "c:\program files\dell\media experience\pcmservice.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PRONoMgr.exe c:\program files\intel\ncs\proset\pronomgr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Profiler c:\program files\saitek\software\profiler.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    QuickTime Task "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu /l:eng SUNKIST\Florene HKU\S-1-5-21-113213981-808136121-2759098208-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SaiSmart c:\program files\saitek\software\saismart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SearchSetter c:\windows\system32\searchsetter[1].exe SUNKIST\Florene HKU\S-1-5-21-113213981-808136121-2759098208-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Sonic RecordNow! SUNKIST\Florene HKU\S-1-5-21-113213981-808136121-2759098208-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    StorageGuard "c:\program files\common files\sonic\update manager\sgtray.exe" /r All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TkBellExe "c:\program files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe" -osboot All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    UpdReg c:\windows\updreg.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    VSOCheckTask "c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ViewMgr c:\program files\viewpoint\viewpoint manager\viewmgr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    VirusScan Online "c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    dla c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    mmtask c:\program files\musicmatch\musicmatch jukebox\mmtask.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

This is one of the most well known sites for dealing with that problem,you do have far too many things running thats for sure but its up to the individual to decide what they want,anyway read this site and see what you think http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

3. Sunkist

Sunkist Thread Starter

I checked out the site, it really does not help me,

I would like to know which ones do I have to have in order for the xp to work. I know I need the firewall and virus programs running other then that which ones can uncheck.
    thank you again

4. telecom69

Start/Run type msconfig then start up,look at the things ticked,are there any you dont need? if you are not sure leave them but otherwise untick them,I cant find a source for what you definitely need running,maybe some will come along and tell us

5. telecom69

Here are some you definitely dont need

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NeroCheck c:\windows\system32\\nerocheck.exe All Users HKLM
    TkBellExe "c:\program files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe" -osboot All Users
    dla c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    mmtask c:\program files\musicmatch\musicmatch jukebox\mmtask.exe All Users

Read this site ignore anything other than XP,its surprising what you dont need http://www.toejumper.net/speed5/start5.htm

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there are two web sites which I know provide this info
    you can find a list of startup programs here

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

scroll down until you find

All items - on-line database displaying all programs, recommendations and descriptions
    Full-list ZIP - off-line page showing all items in one table - also includes a search facility. Includes a cascading style sheet (startups.css) that allows the page to be displayed the same off-line as the on-line version. Extract all files to the same directory
    Start_ups.exe - self-executable file with in-built browser and search capabilities
    Short-list - simple list without search facility for search engine cache purposes

click on full-list.zip - heres a direct link
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startups_all.zip

open the zip file and open the htm file
    now you have a list of everything that maybe running and what this program does and if its needed or not. It takes a while but is well worth the effort

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!