1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup repair loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SwerveCity, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwerveCity

SwerveCity Thread Starter

I hope this is the correct forum. If not, please advise me where to post and I will gladly do so.

As the title states, I am having the issue where I can not get to Windows. It starts by saying "Windows is loading files" then goes straight to the startup repair screen. Startup repair does not work and my only options are to view advanced options and something else I can remember(I am at work right now).

I followed the steps in the link below to try to fix the problem. Not only did it not work, but now I do not even see the option to go to Command Prompt, System Restore or anything else when I click "View advanced options for system recovery and support" after the repair fails. The only option I have ironically is Startup repair now. I at least had access to System Restore and Command Prompt prior to following these steps. I am certain I followed the steps exactly as outlined.

Prior to this I was unable to go into Safe Mode at all either. it kept sending me to Startup repair. Two nights ago I decided to attempt to overclock my GPU for the first time using MSI Afterburner. I have a GTX 560 non TI. I was slowly going up to see where I was stable. Around 930 on my core clock at .998 volts the game I was playing crashed. It kind of scared me and the fps gain was minimal, so I just reset the GPU to default and that was it. I played fine the rest of the nightthough, but I have a feeling this is directly related to my current issues. Last night, Dragon Age and Windows would randomly freeze. Startup repair would run each time I restarted and said it fixed the problem. The third time though is when the Startup loop started.

Also, about a month ago a had a nasty virus from my daughter downloading an advanced paint tool that normal cost 100 bucks by Googling "(Insert name) free". Malwarebytes and Spybot even in Safe Mode were unsuccessful and I ended up getting help from Malwaretips support. They used a tool called FRST to help me clean my system. Not sure if this is related to my issue now.

I do not have a copy of Windows. it is a custom built gaming PC that I bought from someone 2 years ago. I do have access to another PC and very likely a USB stick. My windows is 64 bit. I have an Asus BIOS that I can get into just fine as well. I have not touched any of the settings there. I only went there last night after my PC was messed up to see if anything would catch my eye. I won't be able to respond quickly until after 5pm CST since I am at work. Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to assist me in diagnosing this problem. I know I likely fried some hardware when I was OC'ing my GPU but maybe I will get lucky and have that not be the case. I appreciate it!
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

2. Mr Davo

Mr Davo

Hi SwerveCity,

I would start by following the information in the link below; however if you do not see an operating system listed at the 'System Recovery Options' screen then you will not be able to repair your installation using Windows.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Assuming that the above worked, then GREAT! However if it did not work you should consider investigating the hard drive itself, particularly the partition structure. This can easily be done with MiniTool Partition Wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html), however you will need to download this software and burn the ISO to CD/DVD (so you are going to need a second computer to proceed further).

Once you have Partition Wizard loaded on your troubled computer take a photo of the partition layout (using your mobile phone) and then post back...

Good luck.

Regards,

Davo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice