1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup sound has gone

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xgerryx, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Hello, on XP I have lost startup and close down sounds, also email notification & recycle bin sound. Mouse click and media sounds all seem to be working ok. No problems showing in device manager. Any help appreciated. Gerry

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

go into your sounds control panel and see if it's still got the sounds there.

3. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Under sounds and audio devices things seem to be alright as in nothing is muted. But I could be missing something

4. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

The sound scheme is set to windows default & I can preview the program event sounds but it turns out that none of them will work when they are supposed to eg. email notification and emptying the recycle bin do not work. Its got me abit lost at the moment.

5. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I should change the name of this thread to: "Program events sounds do not work." Interesting thing is that when I logon to guest user a/c the program event sounds do work.

6. honestron

honestron

ok,.go into control panel / sounds multimedia/ and in the sounds tab you will see sound events and you can check and change the different noises to apply to different events.

maybe you have deleted some sounds,.... if so you may double up on the one sound to caver 2 events + if necessary.

dont know if thats any use but you gotta give a dog a biscuit for trying.

some of these cleanup programs can delete stuff like that.... careful i say.

chow 4 now , Ron

7. thatcoolguy

thatcoolguy

Same exact thing happened to me too. I think it happened when installed SP1. I tried EVERYTHING but did not work. This bothered me so much, I deleted windows and re-installed.
    As for SP1, pheh. I went to Gibson Research www.grc.com and installed the more serious security tools free from there. I have other security crap in place, like a router and software firewall, virus scan etc.

8. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I ended up by formatting & reinstalling xp yesterday which was on my things to do list anyway. Still do not no what caused it but by doing a bit of research I found that this is not an uncommon problem with no straight forward remedy.

9. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

That's M$ for you:p

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!