1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup/System Tray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nuke, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuke

Nuke Thread Starter

In Windows XP, where the time is displayed, and sometimes those icons start up when you start your system/reboot, how do I get rid of them, for good?

This is the following procedure I use.

Start>>>Run>>> I type in msconfig, click start up and disable all. I then restart the computer and then none of those annoying start up things are there and my computer starts quicker.

Now sometimes I do this, I reboot with say Aol Instant Messenger. When I come back, it's there again! And the start up takes for ever!

I have to continue to do this, so I was wondering, is there anyway that I don't have to do this all the time? Like one simple command that'll never let me put those starts up there when I reboot?

What's the name for it also?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That area is called systray.

The best way to prevent icons from appearing there is to open the individual program causing the problem and look for a setting. Often the program will give you the option running at start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice