Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Startup windows XP

524 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bobol 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am not familiar with Windows XP at all. I use 98. Uncles uses XP and he asked me to check it out for him as it is running poorly. Went to Start , Run , msconfig and then to startup menue. In the startup menue I found some sort of Chinese writing as one of the items to start when computer is booted. There are 2 of them. I would assume that this is not a normal startup item for Windows XP but am not sure. I took the check marks out of the Chineese boxes and rebooted. When the PC came back on I rechecked the startup menue and now instead of 2 there are 4 on the menue and all 4 have checks in them. It looks like that the program is in the regestry and I will have to take it out of there but don't want to until i find out if it is needed by Windows XP. HELP
Thanks
Rick

#2 ·
For openers, let's run spybot and adaware [gotten from links below]. After that I also suggest running Hijack This[link below] then follow the below instructions fully, and post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested.... and perhaps we'll find out what if anything is odd in startup....

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as Program Files/Hijack This, or My Documents/Hijack This, (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make, so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows/and any open web browers and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.