1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static and Physical shock blanking screen on Compaq Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smith6ar, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smith6ar

smith6ar Thread Starter

Hi there, internet,

I'm having some issues with my Compaq Presario C762NR laptop. It's a couple years old.

Anyway, recently I'm having two issues that may or may not be related.

Issue one: On the slightest of physical shocks (say, putting the computer down onto a desk) the screen can go black. This isn't "completely unlit-computer-is-off black," this is "screen-is-backlit-black." The computer is unresponsive and the only way I can get back online is by holding the power button down until it turns off and then turning it back on.

Issue two: Occasionally, when I set my laptop down, I'll feel a slight static electric shock (usually discharged near the left USB port). The screen will then go crazy. It looks like lines of multi-colored pixels. Again, the only thing I can do to get my computer up and running is doing a hard-reset.

Third potentially related issue I just remembered: Occasionally, when I try to turn on my computer, the display won't turn on. the power and hard drive LED lights turn on, and I can hear the hard drive spinning, but the screen doesn't turn on. I usually turn it off by holding the power button and then turn it on again. Usually this works, but sometimes I have to do the hard-reboot three or four times before the screen actually comes on with the computer.

Please help me! I desperately need my computer and I do not have the money to replace it right now. I want advice!!!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Could be the Ribbon cable from the Motherboard to the screen....could be damaged or the connections lose.

However the static shock concerns me.....do you thing the shock is coming from you or the laptop.....where you walking on carpet when this happens?

3. smith6ar

smith6ar Thread Starter

I think the shock comes from me. My whole place is carpeted. The last IME it happened, I was sitting on a leather couch, I sat up, put my feet on the carpet and set my computer down on a wood table. Just as I was setting it down, I felt the static discharge. If I were going to fix the ribbon cable, how would I do so?

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try and google "How to fix a laptop ribbon cable"

see if you think you might beable to do it....but it may not be that.

5. smith6ar

smith6ar Thread Starter

I backed my computer up a couple weeks ago, I might do another backup today.

Any ideas on what else this might be?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice