1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static External IP Address For Netgear

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HarleyHank, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HarleyHank

HarleyHank Thread Starter

Hi; I'm hoping someone might help. I want to setup an older wired netgear router to request a static ip from my isp. When I go to the setup page I don't see my router as an installed device and therefor can't select it for a static ip. Am I missing something? The only two installed devices are my computer and NVR but I want the router to have the static external ip - don't I? I would appreciate any help for this dummy.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You don't request a static IP from your ISP via configuring your router. You have to talk to someone at your ISP to see if 1) they provide static IPs for residential service and 2) if there is any additional monthly charges. Once these things are set up, your ISP will send you some correspondence providing the static IP information you need to configure on your router.

3. HarleyHank

HarleyHank Thread Starter

Hi; You can do it that way but you can also setup your router to request the same ip address every time it boots - for free. The only issue I'm really having with this is that my router doesn't show up on the installed devices list and I'm wondering if I should setup my NVR which is on the list rather then the router but I won't be able to remote in to the router or will I? I'm stuck on a technicality which isn't addressed in the "For Dummies" instructions.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have never seen my "Router" ever listed as a installed device.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How you have your router set up has no relevance on how your ISP issues you an IP address. Many times yes through normal DHCP operations if your router is still online during a specific time into the DHCP lease and your router requests the IP address it has to be renewed, chances are you will retain your current IP. But your ISP can force a change in your IP address. Regardless, this is not the same as having a static IP address provisioned and assigned to you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!