1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static ip address not renewing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ninjaomar, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninjaomar

ninjaomar Thread Starter

I have a dell laptop with an alternate static ip for both lan and wireless that I use for work. At home I use dsl, and connect using (DHCP) lan line. The problem is that the dhcp properties stay on, and when I try to sign in at work It attempts to log in using dhcp. I have to disable and enable the network card in order to renew the settings. I notice in device manager that I have a question mark under BASE SYSTEM DEVICE.

latitude d400
    Windows (XP)
    Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controlle
    Intel(R) pro/wireless lan 2100 3a mini pci adapter:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you go from home network to work with the laptop running or in hibernation, your results do not surprise me. Try a one step 'repair' instead of the two step 'disable' and 'enable.'

If you shut down, and then boot up at work I don't know what's going wrong. Since you don't say that you use the wireless, try with the wireless connection disabled to see if the wireless was contributing to the confusion.

I have no idea what BASE SYSTEM DEVICE is, so have no idea if that question mark is a problem.

3. ninjaomar

ninjaomar Thread Starter

All of the settings for hibernation, stand by, and so on are turned of. Plus I restart the laptop and it still keeps the settings. I'm thinking it might be the docking station that went bad.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I missed the point about the docking station in the first post. Or is that the BASE SYSTEM DEVICE?

I don't know anything about docking stations (except what they are) or how it might impact your ethernet connection.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Take the PC off the docking station and use a known good plug directly into the laptop... If you still can't connect I may suggest using something like a network switcher utility instead of just relying on the windows alternate connection tab. The fact it has a yellow mark makes me think theres a problem with it too (especially if it wasn't yellow before hand.)

Can you tell us make and model of your laptop as well? You may need to load drivers for you docking stations full functionality (though most I have seen you just plug it in and it works).

6. southernlady

southernlady

What dsl? And are you sure it's static? Liz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice