1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

static ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shanetill254, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanetill254

shanetill254 Thread Starter

I have two static ip address assigned to my cable modem and I have a singe linksys router. I would like to assign one static ip to the router and let it hand out the dynamic ip address to the rest of the computers on my network . and use the second ip address on my win 7 server so I can access it from the road. . I got it setup up were every thing is working but the server, it cant connect to the internet its like the router wont let it out the server has to have a static ip address :mad:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have one connection and got static IP's from your ISP, you can only use one at a time.

You may have better luck using the same IP for the server and using port forwarding or port triggering to access it from outside. Or buy another connection.

Not sure I understand, though. You bought 2 IP's from your ISP? I didn't know they would sell 2 for the same connection, nor why.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well the router configuration and the static configuration would be different so the router will block it. I think you need to put your server in the DMZ/MAC Passthrough on your router.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    We sell them... 1 IP or 5 IPs :D

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do people typically do with them? And this is for a single connection that can only use one at a time?

It wasn't that I didn't believe it - I just don't understand it. :D

6. xalerik

xalerik

Maybe connects switch before router in simpliest way and put some other equipment to external ip addresses. I have several web servers connected in this way. Then security not matter, quite handy usage.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You have two options here as it seems your router doesn't support multiple IPs on its WAN interface. First option is what has been suggested. Connect a switch to the ISP modem and then plug your router and your server box to it. Assign one public static IP to each device and you're done. The only drawback is that you are putting your server onto a raw Internet connection so you either better lock down that server or just expect that the server is going to get smacked and be prepared to rebuild it.

The other option is to buy a better router/firewall. Higher end routers/firewalls will support multiple IPs on any interface. This includes both what many people are familiar with which is the inside interface and the WAN or outside interface. I know for a fact Cisco routers/firewalls (not the rebranded Linksys) and Juniper router/firewalls will do this. I've done this configuration on Cisco PIX and ASA firewalls before without issues. With the two IPs, I would assign one to the router's/firewall's external interface. Then I would do a NAT overload (PAT rule) to dynamically NAT multiple inside addresses to this single public IP. The second IP would be a static NAT to the server. For better security, I would put the server on a separate interface/subnet for isolation.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what he said ^... :D

@ Elvandil > most of the time the 5 IPs are for business accounts but residential can get them. Most of the time it's going to be like a software specific requirement like web servers, VPN etc.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice