1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allaan, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

hello new to this, we are trying to connect our cameras to our apple i pad so we can see what is happening, the supplier of our system will help in us doing this but they are asking us for a static ip address. we have got on to orange who keeps telling us our ip number is the one on our router, but the supplier of our system is asking for an ip number starting with 3 number ours on the router has 2. we have tried talking to orange but terminology is not one for us oap. we could do with some help on this. we have been told we can change our i p but we are afraid to do this in case we loose all our camera system. is there any one on here who can tell us what we can do in common language. thank you all

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe you could start by explaining your setup and what you are trying to do? How are the cameras to be connected to the iPad? Surely not by some kind of direct cable, so there must be some networking involved, right?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    IP addresses do not need to start with 3 numbers, maybe the camera people are unaware of that? Examples: 24.235.149.221 is a valid public IP address and 10.0.0.10 is a valid internal address.

There's also internal/private and external/public IP addresses. Internal ones are used within the network, the camera system will need one of those to work. There's also external or public IP addresses which will be needed if you want to access the system from outside of the office.

4. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

5. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

the dvr is connected to the router via a cable. the ip address which is in the dvr has been put into an appt which is downloaded and named vi which is the apt on my apple ipad

6. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

7. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

thank you i will get back to them today

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please do not quote an entire post unless it is necessary to make clear to what you are responding. And if you do quote part or all of a post then please add your own comment(s) there.

So, you are being asked for a static private IP address for the dvr? If so, login to the router and check what LAN IP addresses it is using. A static address must be outside the range of addresses assigned by the Dhcp server and not equal to the router's LAN address. For example, my router's address is 192.168.2.1 and the Dhcp server assigns from 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.100, so for static IP addresses I choose in the range from 192.168.2.101 through 192.168.2.254.

9. allaan

allaan Thread Starter

ok very grateful for every ones help, now up and running (how) by some fluke i think lol.... thanks to all who gave me infor...

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice