1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kirstymawson, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirstymawson

kirstymawson Thread Starter

Can any 1 help me I have been told that to get steady connection from my router to my ps4 I need to set up an static IP Address I dont know where to start so if you could give me info I would be greatful thanks kirsty.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your router has "DHCP Reservation" the easiest way is to use that to tell the router to always assign the specified address.

Else assign the ps4 avalid address that is in the LAN address space but outside the router's DHCP address range.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Hello. First of all, having a static IP address will not give you a "steady" connection. If your connection isn't steady now, making your IP address static won't change that. Once you get an IP address, DHCP is out of the picture except once every 4 days or so, or every time you reboot the PS4.

To change your settings, go into the PS4 network settings and manually put in an IP address. Look at the IP address of any other device connected to your network. You will use the same gateway and subnet mask of one of those devices. The only thing you will change is the last number on the 4-digit IP address. It must be an address not used by any other system on your network, nor any address that might be used by your DHCP server. Try 10.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice