1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static IP and dynamic IP with 2 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fk-wholesale-ltd, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fk-wholesale-ltd

fk-wholesale-ltd Thread Starter

I have 2 computers with 1 static IP address. Both computers have the same WAN IP address. One computer I'm requiring a dynamic IP and the other the static IP. How would I do this?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this in a company or home
    is this static IP address provided by the ISP or is this a static IP you want to set
    if so why are you setting a static IP ?

whats the make and model of the router you have ?

3. fk-wholesale-ltd

One computer is a web server and the other is for personal use. The static IP has been provided by the ISP. The router is zyxel AMG1302-T10B.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want your ISP to provide two public IPs you need to talk with them. If you contract with them for two IPs also ask them if and how that can work with your current modem/router.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may also want to discuss bandwidth issues with them
    having a webserver on the end of a telephone line type broadband connection is going to be very limiting and slow
    as to deliver the pages and content is using your upload speed

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or just use the one IP address and assign it to the router, then just use your router to forward the ports you need to the web server so it can't be accessibly from the internet. You don't need an ISP assigned address for each computer you have, that's the point of the router. In your internal network you can have multiple computers that share a single external ISP IP address.

7. fk-wholesale-ltd

How do I assign the static IP to the router?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Log into your router, go to the WAN or Internet Setup page and change the connection type to Static IP and enter the static IP provided by your ISP. You must first obtain the static IP address from your ISP which is usually an extra fee.

9. fk-wholesale-ltd

I've changed the router setting to static IP and entered the IP address. Both computers still have the same static IP address. On the properties of the Network connections on web the server. I use the static IP on the IP address box. Then I receive the error message "Windows has detected an IP address conflict. Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer"

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You might want to explain in better detail what you are trying to do or show us a network diagram of the network equipment and computers you are trying to configure. Doesn't sound like you have much networking experience.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computers will indeed still have the same internal IP addresses as before, that's fine. You should not be assigning the server the same IP address as you did to the WAN connection, it needs to have an internal IP address set that matches the IP scheme of your internal network, it should be statically set as well but not with the external IP address from the ISP. I think you are well over your head on this one. What exactly is this web server for anyways? What will it be hosting, what ports does it need to have opened?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't have Visio on this computer so Paint will have to do. Here's what the setup should look like.

Attached Files:

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thanks, will definitely try it.

15. fk-wholesale-ltd

I have 4 commercial websites on the server. The ports I use are HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, POP, SMTP, PPTP and DNS.

I changed ISP and have a new router. Now my websites are not working. On the routers web page, I'm unable to assign computers on the network to a static IP address. The only option is to select "Static IP" and then either choose "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" or enter the IP address.

My websites have only ever worked when the ISP supplied a block of 4 static IP addresses. The personal computer had a dynamic WAN IP and the server had a static WAN IP.

I've tried setting the server using 1 static IP with previous ISP's. The personal computer and the server both had the same static WAN IP. The websites have never worked with this setup.

Please see diagram

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!