1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static IP Printing on a DHCP Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Filmar, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Filmar

Filmar Thread Starter

I am trying to setup a static IP for my printer on my network. Everytime I lose power, my printer gets a new IP address. :mad: Here is the equipment I have:

Router - WRT54G (Wireless G firmware version3.01.3)
    Jet Direct - HP JetDirect en3700
    Printer - HP Photosmart 7960
    PC's - Multiple (All WXP Pro SP2, some cabled up to the router, some connecting wirelessly)

Router Information
    DHCP Enabled, SSID broadcast off, Wireless MAC filtering for allow access only.

Network configuration:
    I have my jet direct card (en3700) directly cabled up to my router (WRT54G). The jet direct card then connects to my printer via USB. Currently I can connect to the printer via the IP of the jet direct card, but this only works for the length of the IP lease. Is there a setting in the WRT54G or in my en3700 that will allow me to make one address static, while all the others are assigned via DHCP?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

All the HP Jet Direct cards I've worked with allow you to specify an IP address. For this all you really need is the IP address and subnet mask. Just use one that is outside of the DHCP range your router is assigning.

3. Filmar

Filmar Thread Starter

So then I should assign an IP outside of my DHCP range, within my jet direct card config page?

My next question then is, on the desktop side, when I map a printer via IP, I should target this address that I assigned in the jet admin console?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You print to the IP address. You can setup your computer to print to a Standard TCP/IP port.

5. Filmar

Filmar Thread Starter

I just set it up and it seems to be working great! I'm just curious what will happen if I lose power again. I have my jet direct card set on manual, but if the power goes out, are those changes saved?

Thanks again for all the support and help!

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you got it working. Typically those jet direct cards will retain their IP information, just like your router would.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!