1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ACA529, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

How do you make your computer have a static local IP? I have cable internet. I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks.

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

The ISP gives out the IP, you can't just take it.
    Static usually costs extra, if it's even an available option.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You would probably have to get a business account that has static IPs available, but if you are talking about a private address, as in within your own network (local) then you can create one easily. We need more information, what modem do you have and do you have any other devices like routers etc.?

4. geek117

geek117

As I am aware that you may not in fact fully understand the concept of Static/Dynamic addresses nor may you know how you need it to be configured, I must first ask what it is you hope to accomplish with this static address?

5. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant local as in internal. Thanks.

6. geek117

geek117

We will need more information on the subject. What sort of hardware do you have connected between your computer and the internet (demarc point, where the internet/cable/dsl connection comes into your house)? Please include any Brands/Model numbers as well as the number of devices on the internal network.

For routers, you will want to create a DHCP reservation in which you will need the computer/network device's MAC address. For this, see the documents below.

http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

Once you know your MAC address, you will have to go into your router's web config utility and add the device to the reservation list. For more information, please consult the owner's manual or provide us with a brand/model number so that we may direct you to the appropriate information.

7. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm using a router.

This is what I ended up doing: I went to control panel > view network status > view status > properties > IPv4 > entered in the IP I wanted to use > entered in the default gateway > entered in my ISP's DNS servers. And that did it.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That's all you need for your local area network :)

9. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I had a problem this morning: It said IP was already in use or something and wouldn't let me connect to the network. So I had to reverse all the changes. I assume I will have to make a static IP for all the computers on the network for it to work properly?

Thanks.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    no, just make sure that you don't use the same number twice. if your IP address is 192.168.x.y, change y to 250. that should work with no conflictions.

11. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Well that's what happened when I tried it. It worked the first time but when I started my computers up in the morning there was a conflict. How do I fix it?

Thanks.

12. srhoades

srhoades

You need to give your computer an IP address outside of the DHCP scope in the router. If the router is giving out the entire subnet, then just changed it to the first 25 IP addresses or so.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!