1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

static on my sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JxSmith, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JxSmith

JxSmith Thread Starter

hello

I went from win982nd to 2000. Did a clean install(formated the hard drive) reinstalled all my drivers,now when i play a .wav,.avi,.midi i get static , and can bearly here the file, but it plays music cd's(.cda) files clear. I have tried to reinstall, and change the driver for my sound card, but it didn't help

its a soundblaster pci 128 card

Josh

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

you mean you hear static sound coming from your speakers?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let me hazard a guess, your motherboard has the VIA chipset. :) I have a couple of VIA chipset equipped motherboards, and it's a known issue when there is heavy activity on the PCI bus, say lots of disk usage. I could play MP3's if I wasn't doing anything else and they sounded fine, but when I started doing other stuff that caused interrupt latency on the PCI bus, the hash in the sound occured. I now have an Intel chipset equipped board for my main system. :)

4. The_Egg

The_Egg

Hmm, if it is a VIA chipset, then it depends on which one. There's very few problems with the latest chipsets (KT333 and higher)

Some precise hardware details would help, ie.
    motherboard & chipset, cpu, ram, video card (sound card, we already know)

It's either motherboard/chipset or sound drivers which need updating, or interference from something else on the pci bus (eg. network card)

Try moving the soundcard to a different pci slot.

For the latest SB PCI 128 drivers for Win2k:
    www.soundblaster.com/drivers

Uninstall previous drivers before installing the new ones.

btw, what player are you using?
    WMP or other?

Also, have you tried upgrading DirectX ?

5. bigtuna420

bigtuna420

i had a via kt266 chipset on my old board and had to download the via pci latency patch from via to get the static out of my soundblaster card.

6. JxSmith

JxSmith Thread Starter

yes I do have the via ddr chip set , I am using WMP, and it dosent seem to be affected by how many programs are running

i am downloading some new drivers now (thanks for the link)

thanks for all the help

Josh

7. Duster340

Duster340

I have heard that it makes a difference on which PCI slot you use the ones closest to the northbridge chipset are not the best ones to use or something like that maybe some one else knows the exact explanation but you might try swapping it in to another slot.

8. JxSmith

JxSmith Thread Starter

well i finaly got it fixed

a friend sent me a pci latency pacth from www.sudhian.com

cleared it right up

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

I have been having a similar problem with a screeching sound in speakers while browsing the web or even browsing a folder such as my documents. It occurs when I use the scroll bar. I have a suspicion it may be related to this same problem. I am wondering if there is a patch like the one you found that will fix my problem.

I have posted a thread in this forum twice and have not yet resolved this issue. Here is a link to that thread.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116590

My chipset is VIA VT8361 Apollo KLE133

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice