1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static Shock on monitor screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mortdevol, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdevol

mortdevol Thread Starter

I live in Malaysia, and in my house there is one PC with an old fashion CRT monitor, and one laptop a DELL Inspiron bought in 2001.

the monitor screens of both this computers shocks anyone that touches them. both of them are in the same house.

is there a way to reduce the static on these 2 computers?
    will a humidifier help?
    or it is essentially a problem with the monitors being old? from what i learn the newer computers are designed to reduce static.

thank you!

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

If your outlets are not properly grounded, static can build up on the crt as a result of the high voltage it uses to suck electrons to the front.
    In most cases; however, static is built up in the individual due to carpetting and what is on that persons feet ( the soles of some shoes are great static generators ) If this is true, you also get zapped by things like switchplates or bare metal on appliances. The best test is an antistatic carpet spray.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice