1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theworldisour, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theworldisour

theworldisour Thread Starter

hello everybody,
    quite recently (maybe a month ago) all my sound get staticy, it usually occurs with louder sounds (ie when playing counter strike, walking / switching guns is fine, but once i fire, it begins to become staticy. also with music, quiet parts are fine, but louder parts get all staticy)

so i have a simple quick question and was hoping someone with more knowledge than i could help me out.

system specs:
    Mobo: Sapphire PURE CrossFire 3200 PC-AM2RD580
    CPU: AMD AthlonX2 4600+ @ 2.4 GHz
    Video: ATI 1900XT
    Sound: SB Audigy 2
    Speakers: Altec Lansing 251 5.1 Surround Speakers
    PSU: OCZ GameXStream @ 700w
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda S-ATA II @ 300Gb
    DVD: Light-On Lightsribe @ 20x

new sound card?
    or blown speakers?
    thanks!

2. pinntech

pinntech

It could be a number of things including...

Speakers, Sound Card, and even drivers.

I would start by plugging in a set of headphones into the sound card and see if the static and problems still exist.

Then I would roll back my sound drivers to see if that fixes the problem. An update may have installed updated drivers.

If none of that fixes the issue, I would test the speakers in another system.

You have to eliminate all the possiblities and don't forget to eliminate electrical static also! Move your speakers to another area away from TV's, Cordless phones and so forth.

Last but not least, your sound card could be bad. However, eliminate all other possiblities before purchasing a new card!

Thanks!... Shane

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

4. theworldisour

theworldisour Thread Starter

well, i was sure i had the latest drivers (which i did)
    but just for the heck of it, i downloaded the same ones, re-installed
    and everything appears to be working fine
    so thanks a lot everyone!

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

:cool: Driver corruption. Nobody knows why it happens, but it does happen.

6. Zeratule

Zeratule

I get a static sound in my speakers at random and it won't stop. It's really annoying and the only way i can get rid of it is to restart my computer. I usually starts when im playing a game.It just bam! happens out of no where. I figure this is a program problem because my speakers themselves are just fine. This started happening when i upgraded to SP2 for XP. Any idea what's the problem? Possibly fixable?

7. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

It might be some magnetic interference in the atmosphere if your audio cables are not shielded..

It also could be a driver problem. Try downloading the latest sound drivers, and check the drivers with their md5 checksum. Google your drivers and the word "md5", and you should get a long string of numbers and letters. Then use a program like Free Download Manager to check the file integrity using md5 algorithms. If it checks out, then it should work. If it doesn't, download from a different site.

Other than that, it is beyond my knowledge.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice