1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Static VxDs prevent normal start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AlfaRomeo, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlfaRomeo

AlfaRomeo Thread Starter

I lost sound on my HP pavilion (Windows ME). Went to BIOS and enable Audio Codec. After that PC just hangs at Windows ME logo screen. After much research, I ran msconfig and unchecked all under Selective Startup. Then each time I would slowly add back. As a result, everything is back....EXCEPT for Static VxD items. If I check any of the .VXD item, PC will either hang or start in safe mode. So as it stands, I cannot install my wireless netword adapter (which works previously for the past 2 weeks). It seems the USB port (any of them) to which I connect the adapter is not recognized. I draw the conclusion that these ports are tied to these VxD files in some way. What can I do at this point?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

have you tried a scanreg /restore back to a date before the problem started?

have you tried SFC?

3. AlfaRomeo

AlfaRomeo Thread Starter

I did a system restore back to the last checkpoint (which is one week ago). Didn't solve problem. Restored back a few more weeks and still didn't work. Not sure what a scanreg and/or SFC is. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice