1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kacy130, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

Ok, I can not figure out why or what happened. That is why I come here. After a recent Windows update shortly after I now get this message.

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click [Next]
    3. Click [Repair your computer]

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

I can start up the computer but it hangs at Windows loading page after I sign in with my password. I go into safe mode but can't connect on the internet because it can't find any devices as stated on my connection manager. Can't do system restore as there is no restore point in safe mode. And can't do it in regular mode because it hangs. Spent several hours of saving docs & pics on my flash drive because if I save to many at one time it freezes. Only way to shut down is to push the on/off button.

I'm at a loss of what to do but if my h/d corrupted again it will be the 2nd time w/i the year.

Any help would be much appreciated. Phantom010, you were a great help several months ago with another issue I was having. Hope you still out there.

Laptop info: Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz 2.17GHz
    3.00 GB 32-bit OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2

Thank you.

2. gfne

gfne

You can pm him/her.

3. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

Anyone? :/

4. gfne

gfne

If I may suggest go into safe mode, open my computer right click your main drive and go to properties. Find the disk check option and check both boxes. It will tell you it needs to restart to do the operation. Come back let us know if you can go in normally.

5. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

Ok I restarted it as instructed. Now have a black screen. Is this a process that takes awhile?

6. gfne

gfne

You shouldn't have just a black screen. You should see things telling you its proceeding. Do you have a tiny light (called a LED) for the hard drive to see if its working?

7. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

No its a black screen if start it up. Safe mode now just sits there saying "please wait". So now I get nothing.

8. gfne

gfne

9. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

I have no installation disk. and I have never been able to create one because I have not been successful. No one has given me a clue as to why. they just tell me "burn a disk". I ask what part of I don't know how cuz in the past I have tried with no success.

10. gfne

gfne

Do you have a floppy drive?

11. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

I have a dvd/cd drive on my laptop which I have no way to use.

12. kacy130

kacy130 Thread Starter

My hard drive corrupted again for the 2nd time in 1.5 years of purchasing this laptop. Repair service installed OS Windows 7 Ultimate instead of Windows Vista Home Edition. Now I must learn this OS. :(

Consider this topic unresolved but closed. Now I will search for "how to turn off my touchpad" as it's not the same as when I had Windows Vista.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice