1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stay AWAY FROM MAXTOR HARD DRIVES They have no warranty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rkselby98, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

I had a Maxtor hard drive go bad in 6 months. I emailed them with the information. Here was their reply. How do I Know their hard drives don't lie in their warehouse for 2 years.

At 08/08/2001 02:35 PM Maxtor wrote - I regret to inform you that the drive itself is out of warranty.
    The warranty is not from your date of purchase, but from the drive's manufacture date (which is
    stamped on the drive itself). I apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause you, and hope
    that you will remain a loyal Maxtor customer.

2. RonK

RonK

Rick,
    I have used nothing but Maxtors in my own computer and the compters I build for other people and of approx 20 hard drives I have installed in the past year and a half, only 2 have had problems. I used the MaxDig program from Maxtor and used the RMA service they have and had replacement drives within a few days.
    The warranty dates on all the drives I purchased where very close to the date's I bought them - usually within 2 months.
    Maybe the place you bought the drive from had it sitting around or even worse - maybe you were sold a Used drive as a new one. I always look at the Warranty dates when I buy a drive.
    The 2 drives I received by RMA had very recent warranty dates on them as well.
    Contact the place you bought it from and ask them why the date is so old.

What is the model number on the drive ?

[Edited by RonK on 08-08-2001 at 09:31 PM]

3. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

It was new. It was still in the sealed wrapper. It's not the money; it is the idea behind it. If they sell a drive and warrant it then they should make it from the date it is brought. See I live in a small tourist town, no computer work here almost none. So parts don't sell good, but the places we have to carry parts on hand. Maybe they aren't sold in a month or two. That's not there fault for not having a thriving business like a city dealer.

The place would probably make it good, I haven't checked yet, because it was brought online and I figured it might be faster this way. Second by the time I waste shipping and all it will just be cheaper to buy another one.

IT IS THE PRINCIPAL OF IT ALL. Why have a warranty if your going by a date it was made. Do you buy your car that way, did you buy your computer that way, if not then why would anyone buy a hard drive that way. Western Digital isn't that way and that is where I will buy my next one.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Rick, just my two centavos here....but just because it's in a sealed wrapper, doesn't make it new....even when Maxtor sends out replacement units, they pull from old stock, remanufactured, etc. and shrink wrap it in foil.....

Western Digital does rebuilds too.....

I agree with Ron, look at the date on the top of the drive...I think I sent mine priority mail for $2.40 or so.

[Edited by AcaCandy on 08-09-2001 at 10:14 AM]

5. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Could be but I'll never buy another one. With western Digital when I have one that goes bad they replace it according to the purchase date. That simple. Never had a problem with WD and I will go back to using them. This was a one shot deal and it will stay that way.

I'm not in the habbit of checking dates. I go by purchase dates and WD has worked with me that way so they get my business.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, without trying to enter a debate, this is a cut and paste from the Western Digital website:

Duration of Warranty

The limited warranty extends only for the period of time set forth in the Product documentation. The period commences from the date of manufacture appearing on the Product label of the original Product purchase. To verify this period for your Product, please click on Warranty Inquiry System. In the United States, some states do not allow limitations on how long implied warranties last, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

http://www.wdc.com/products/drives/wdhdwar.html

7. Paul D

Paul D

That sucks, and is illegal here (Australia). Any Warranty here must by law be from date of retail sale.

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Maybe I'm missing something but from what I read, Maxtor will replace the drive from the date of purchase if you show them your receipt. Not sure about the "Authorized Reseller" wording but I'd argue that point with Maxtor whether the PC store was or wasn't an Authorized Dealer if I had a receipt to prove the date of purchase. And even without it, the warranty period doesn't even start til 3 months after the last production run of that make drive.

Or just go <a href=http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm> here</a> and on the left click on "Warranty Information". Then on the next page, at the top Right click on "Warranty" again.

[Edited by Bryan on 08-09-2001 at 10:19 PM]

9. frenat

frenat

Just another word of advice about buying stuff online. You have to be careful what you are getting sometimes. I had a Western digital drive for a year and had it fail and when I tried to get it replaced I found out that the drive was originally purchased in Europe shipped to California by some other company and resold from a website. It was new when I bought it but my warranty was only good in Europe which does me absolutely no good at all. However, I was able to get a $30 credit by trading the defective drive in for a new one with Western Digital.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/50304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice