1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stdole32 repair attempt has killed my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sharpeye72, Sep 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. sharpeye72

sharpeye72 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I’m in serious need of help and I don’t know if there’s anything that will get my laptop working.
    Ages ago I started getting stdole32 displaying when starting excel, I tried to fix the problem following instructions on line but stopped before going into registry options as I didn’t want to risk causing damage. I left it alone and just put up with the limitations caused by this until today.
    Today I followed the instructions on line to fix stdole32 and after following one set of instructions and restarting windows, windows will no longer start.
    It tries to run start up recovery but just sits there doing nothing, I’ve tried booting up in safe mode and keep getting the blue screen and tries to load again, I have also tried system restore from command prompt but everything I try just sits there for hours. The only thing I haven’t tried is to load from a win7 dvd and that’s because I don’t have one.
    Has anyone got any ideas to help fix my laptop?
    Thank you for any suggestions

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what error are you getting from the blue screen in Safe Mode?

3. sharpeye72

I can’t see, it’s gone so quickly. I’ve tried all kinds of things from startup repair and restore. I have a thinkpad so it has the blue button which gives options for HDD diagnostic program which I’ve run, although I don’t think that’s the issue at all I think I’ve messed with the registry which I didn’t want to do and now it’s broken

4. sharpeye72

Ok so here’s something I wasn’t expecting. My laptop was no good, I could not get it to boot at all so in the end I did a usb install of win10, started all over, cleaned everything out. Once that was done I installed Office 2007 again and ran excel, no problems at all. Once win10 had finished all its updates and the laptop rebooted I was ready to start using my laptop again so I ran excel again so I could start work on my project and guess what popped up?
    Stdole32 error message, surely that can’t be right??

5. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You could try doing a memory test to determine if bad memory is causing a problem.
    You could try uninstalling and re-installing Office 2007 or repair it. (Run Appwiz.cpl, right click on it to repair)
    As it is no longer supported, especially on windows 10, you may uninstall it and install a trial version of office 2019 or office 365 to see if that resolves the issue.
    If you are not married to Microsoft, then there is OpenOffice or Libre Office you could use to get your work done .

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    This issue seems to be common with 2007 Office. Try this:

Try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps resolve the issue:

Important: Ensure to back-up the registry before changing the registry keys:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

· Go to Run (press Windows+R key on the keyboard simultaneously) and type regedit

· Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Excel.Chart.8

· Right Click on key and select Permissions

· In the Permission windows > click on Add tab and add Everyone

· Once this is done, click on the Advanced tab > Owner > highlight Everyone > click on Apply and Ok

· In the Permission > select Everyone > enable the check box for Full Control and Read then click on Apply and Ok

· Click on F5 to refresh, this should create a new Sub key below Excel.Chart.8 called Protocol > right click on the key and repeat step 3 – 5.

· Refresh again and follow the same sequence of steps to add permission to the following Sub keys StdFileEditing >Server.

· Close the registry editor.

You may also refer the link mentioned below which discusses about the similar error message and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-missing/ba3e940d-d628-4334-ac89-5e8ac9878093

7. sharpeye72

Thanks for your reply. I found instructions like these on line which I followed which resulted in my laptop getting stuck during boot up which is why I’ve ended up installing win10.
    I think my options are limited to put up with the effects of stdole32 or go for a newer version of office

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you try the repair as Sean mentioned?

9. sharpeye72

I’m not married to Microsoft and have been using WPS for ages. The only reason I went to excel was because WPS charge to release the macro feature so I picked up office 2007 for a few quid.
    One unexpected bonus of running both is when I copy my work from an excel sheet to WPS, every cell look exactly the same but no conditional formatting commands are copied across which helps me out massively

10. sharpeye72

Yeah I’d already done all of that. Not really causing me a huge issue, was just surprising it was still coming up after the win10 install

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice