1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Steady amber light on motherboard and won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Liamclayton67, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liamclayton67

Liamclayton67 Thread Starter

Parts:
    Intel i5 7400
    ROG strix B250F gaming motherboard
    Corsair ddr4 16gb 2400mhz RAM
    Corsair carbide spec delta RGB chassis
    Gigabyte gtx 1050 2gb GPU
    Corsair VS650 PSU

I recently brought a pre built gaming PC and wanted to start upgrading it. I brought the graphics card listed above and the power supply at that same time and have been using them for about 5 months with no issues. I then brought the case about a month ago and again no issues with that on my old build. This weekend I finally brought a new CPU, motherboard and RAM as listed above. I set up all the components inside the chassis as per usual with no problems. All the necessary cables were plugged in. I followed the case and motherboard manuals instructions when it came to connecting the front I/o headers. Once this was all complete I connected the power supply and turned it on to test everything. Immediately after switching the power supply on, an amber light appeared on the motherboard above the front/Io connectors. I looked in the manual and online and nothing said why this is. (Note the RGB lights on the motherboard were also on.) I then attempted to turn on the pc using the chassis buttons but this did nothing. I looked online and tried to follow some tips. This led to me taking it all out the chassis and trying to run the motherboard externally. I set up the motherboard with the CPU and heatsink in with one stick of RAM. I then turned on the power supply and attempted to short start the motherboard. Nothing happened yet the amber light and RGB lights stayed active.
    I'm in school working a minimum wage part time job so don't have the money to keep buying new parts. Was hoping someone who knows more about PC's could help. I've posted a thread on another forum site similar but they simply told me the parts I had don't exist and then stopped replying. I also contacted ASUS support but haven't heard back from them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Liam.
    Attached below are the parts I have taken from pc part picker.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing just jumps out at me; VS pw supply. Corsair makes some fine pw supplies however the VS series is NOT one of them. The vs line is the lowest quality from corsair. They are for a very basic system ie onchip video, running office, etc. NOT for running a gaming card.

Next have you read the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.

3. Liamclayton67

I asked a friend about my system and he said the same thing about the power supply but I looked and it didn't say it had any compatibility issues. The other thing that cincerns me is how I tried to short start the motherboard and it didn't start. Any ideas?

4. Liamclayton67

I looked at the wattage my system should require on pc part picker and the PSU should be more than enough to have it run fine or am I missing skmething?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. Liamclayton67

So do you think if I had a higher quality power unit it may work?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have never answered the question in post #2. Have you read the guide and followed ALL steps?

8. Liamclayton67

I was going to wait until Monday to call the customer service for Asus and see if they know what is wrong with it
    Yes like I said I followed the steps and it didn't achieve anything. The only step that applied to me was setting up the motherboard externally from my case and like I said, this didn't work and the same problem persisted

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, ALL of the steps pertain to you. You need to follow ALL steps; note the last section is to swap parts with known good units. If you follow all steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

10. Liamclayton67

Link me the forum post please

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Up to you. Either test in a systematic manner and you will find the cause of your problem.

13. Liamclayton67

The motherboard just doesn't post, I've followed all the steps to with externally building the motherboard and it doesn't work.

14. Liamclayton67

As I said before, I cannot short start the motherboard

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you need to do what was outlined; swap parts with known good units OR test your parts in a bench/test system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice