1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stealing bandwidth

Discussion in 'General Security' started by dano_61, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I have received an email from my internet provider saying i am using excess bandwidth and that i may have a virus, i dont watch alot of streaming video or play games online.

How can i check if my bandwidth is being stolen

Dan

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There are worms and viruses with similar message content that are disguised to look like they come from your ISP, but really do not. One give away is the email does not contain your name, username, or account number. Copy and paste some of the text here (including the Subject line) and we will have a look.

BTW, I received two emails yesterday regarding investigation of suspicious activity on my Paypal account. When I read the header information it showed they were from a Yahoo.com email address. :confused:

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

No these were from my provider, they suspended my service for a day till i fixed the problem

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Download, install and run HiJackThis
    Run the scan and save log.
    When the LOG file opens in NotePad, do Select All, Copy
    Then, return here and in a Post Reply, do a Paste of the contents for review.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice