Steam does not start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kalv

Steam is an application to start games such as counter strike and half life 2. When i try to start steam nothing happens, NO error message... nothing. However I see steam listed in process. I went to steam support and all i found was to correct your system clock, but its already correct. I already reinstalled steam, deleted clientblob, system restore, and installed steam in a different folder without much success, only thing different that happens is that steam updates and after thats done nothing happens.

bonk

Banned
Is there a Icon of Steam in your system tray?

Have you tried go Start then All Programs and found it in the list and Selected it and on the right click on something there?

kalv

no icon in system tray

i just tried start > all programs... still doesn't work

bonk

Banned
Was it in the All Programs list??

I had Steam account ...had no problems

Do you have any Anti-Virus programs running?

Beware ! There's a recent upgrade of the Steam engine. Also, when Steam is triggered, it starts first to download the upgrade and it may take a while according to the connection speed.
My own Steam engine has been upgraded today and it works fine.

Also, for the people who has a firewall, it is recommanded to reconfigure it after the upgrade as the Steam version would have been changed.

kalv

so there is nothing i can do. i got no firewall or AV.

bonk

Banned
If you don't have a AV or firewall its more likely to be a virus..

Get one of these free one and update it and run a full scan

Avast4 Home Edition (Update before Scanning) OR

AVG 7 (Update before Scanning)

I have the exact same problem. I also tried reinstalling, repairing and almost anything I could think of, but none of it helped. I do however, have a firewall, an antivirus program and several antispyware programs.

What caused the problem for me is the new steam engine update.

When I reinstalled steam it did a quick update, then restarted itself. After that, my firewall asked if steam could reconnect to the internet, which I granted, steam then showed it's update window for two seconds and just died, even though it had an open internet connection and unused CPU bandwidth.

So, I guess if I can't find a solution to this problem, I'll just have to wait for the next steam update and hope that it doesn't have the same conflict problem with my computer. :(

It seems that the new version of the Steam engine is bugged.
In opposition to what I've already posted (post nr 5), Steam doesn't work nicely. When I tested the new engine, I've been lucky.
Indeed, my son tried to play HL2 DM online and he couldn't connect to any server.

Also, I've noticed this following situations :
- when Steam is triggered at the startup of Windows, it just pumps a large part of my bandwith in a way that I've the impression of surfing with a 56K modem (I've a DSL connection).
- As my phone system is connected to the modem, I've heard there was interference online : Steam is 'pulsing' randomly and it makes noise in the speaker of my phone.
As soon I stop Steam, the noise disappears and my bandwith is back to normal.
- How did I get the game working nicely ?
In the Steam settings, I've unchecked the automatic launching at startup.
When I want to play, I just launch directly the game clicking on its appropriate icon and it works.

Start it up 'on demand' instead at startup. Let the rest of system get their share of the pie before 'Steam' tries to do a Norton and hog all the system.

i have this EXACT same problem, ive tried everything in this post, as well as other posts on the net and the suggestions on support.steam.com or w/e.

nothing works.....i dont even have an error message to give me a clue. i just try to run it, and absolutly nothing happens.

someone out there must know what's wrong! HELLLP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online