1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Steam Will Not Start Up

Discussion in 'Games' started by creamesoda, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. komkid

komkid

i bring good news to you.... i have a solution for the steam problem should help most of you .....

Steps:

1. Push Ctrl + R
    2. Type in msconfig
    3. Click Selective Startup
    4. Then click Services
    5. Find the Adobe LM service and if you have it then make sure its unclicked. ( if you don't have it then don't worry about it )
    6. Click ok and don't restart yet
    7. If you have Tune Up Utillities Installed then UNINSTALL IT NOW!!!!
    8. After uninstalling it then restart your computer and it should work just fine

2. tomabounader

tomabounader

I found that clicking 'End Process' on the 'steam.exe' file then re-starting Steam worked... but I think you may have other problems...

3. komkid

komkid

I just think that the adobe prosess and the Tune Up program are having esome conflict with the program mostly.... b/c alot of people I know have alrready tried anding and restarting steam with no luck... my friends and I had the same problem so we did the above steps and it worked fine afterwords.

4. j3rmz0r

j3rmz0r

I have no adobe LM and no tuneup utilities installed... Still no dice.

Ya know it's funny, I'm finding this problem everywhere, so many people have it (Mostly starting in early January), and yet there is not a single mention of this issue posted on Steam's website...

If i can't get this fixed by the time HL2:E2 is out, i'm gonna be pretty upset....*sigh*

5. sheriff01

sheriff01

i click steam and nothing comes up, it will be in processes but still not there. i have tried reinstalling steam, rebooting pc, rebooting internet modem, but still no difference. i downloaded the winsock repair program but it said "limited or no connection" then i click repair connection and it said "the following action could not be completed: clearing the DNS cache". when i turn off my computer it says "hidden window.. end now". can somebody help me fix this problem?

6. tomabounader

tomabounader

start separate threads guys...

7. alexmbt

alexmbt

sooo EVRIKA!
    start your computer .....kill steam.exe in taskmanager ...disable your network internet connection ....start steam (select start in offline mode) ....enable your inetrnet connection ....CHANGE USER in STEAM ...and login again. bafta
    hai romania

8. alexmbt

alexmbt

right click an steam "run as.." select administrator(enter pas) ..and PLAY
    hai romania

9. NoSaidDate

NoSaidDate

I signed up just so I can personally thank this guy and call him Jesus. Good job Jesus, it appears you are smarter than everyone at Valve and Steam as it has been two months and those fools couldn't help me out. Note that I didn't even have to go to select administrator, instead just my own acct.

10. j3rmz0r

j3rmz0r

This seems to be working! alexmbt, i would like to kiss your face! :D

but won't cuz thats gay :eek: (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

11. Ralampaga

Ralampaga

When I do the run as thing it says Debug Assertion Failed... This happened a while ago then it worked out of the blue. Now it's doing it again. Help please.

12. flickflame

flickflame

i try to play cs, and also open steam, and it says its updating, then it just disappears, i cant play cs!

13. j3rmz0r

j3rmz0r

hey flick, i had the same problem for a long time, and tried EVERYTHING that ANYONE said would work. Alexmbt's solution was the only one that really worked.

Since Steam is set to start up with windows, you must Ctrl+Alt+Del, click the processes tab, locate steam and right click on it, then click end process.

After that, find steam.exe on your harddrive, right click on the icon and click "Run as..." And run it as "administrator." Then thank god for alexmbt!

14. j3rmz0r

j3rmz0r

Ralampaga - are you making sure to close the current copy of steam.exe that is running but hidden? If i dont close it first, it gives me a similar error.

15. Xephar

Xephar

At this point, I would say, try reformatting your computer and then trying again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535318