1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Step by step VPN setup?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by advisor7759, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. advisor7759

advisor7759 Thread Starter

First off, I am not a networking expert. Barely knowledgeable in fact. However, I am fairly computer literate so I can usually understand things.

I have an office machine running WinXP Pro that acts as our server. We use a Netgear FVS318 VPN router for connections. There is no static IP yet. There are 4 office machines running XP Home that connect to the server. All that works fine. All machines see each other, we can transfer files, share printers, etc.

I now want to set up 2 machines (desktop and laptop) for outside use. Those machines will be used by employees so they can work from home a few days a week. The desktop machine runs WinXP Pro and connects to the internet via cable modem. The laptop runs Win XP Home and connects to the internet via cable modem but the setup is wireless.

Is there a step-by-step process or checklist I can get that will take me through the steps of setting this up? Not sure what else I need to provide or assk.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice