1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Steps For Installing & Updating Windows 7 SP1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flavallee, Aug 11, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

There's a new cumulative security update for IE11, so step #5 has been edited to reflect the new update (KB3185319). (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Wingnut33809

Wingnut33809

What happens when update won't work.
    I try doing the standalone installer also

3. JJWIEBE

JJWIEBE

I had windows 10 on my computer and did not work with all my applications, I put windows 7 back on and now I'm having trouble updating windows, even the steps above don't work, any ideas?

4. flavallee

The listed steps have been used 3 times by me (and also used by others here), and they work fine.

I'm not there to see how you installed and attempted to update Windows 7, so I can't advise you why you're having a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. NZGirl

NZGirl

Thank you so much for this post Frank. I've just purchased another second hand computer running Win7 pro. It had SP 1 on it but that was it. I followed your steps in the exact order you said and it worked brilliantly. Is there a list somewhere saying what other updates to avoid if you don't want Win 10 on your machine? I've seen one update listed recently and blocked that from downloading but wonder if there are more I don't know about. Thank you :)

6. flavallee

I'm very glad to hear that. (y)
    The KB2952664 update is the most persistent one that Microsoft keeps releasing on us, so just hide it when it appears.
    The free upgrade offer expired on July 29th, so you shouldn't have any fear of Windows 10 getting installed without your knowledge in your computer. (y)

7. flavallee

To those of you who read and make use of this install/update guide, post #1 has been updated to reflect changes from the October 2016 "Patch Tuesday".

8. flavallee

9. flavallee

On 10/22/2016, I did another test clean install of Windows 7 SP1.

There have been some changes to the list of steps, so post #1 has been edited to reflect it.

When I started Windows Update and did a "checking for updates" for the first time, it took only 7 minutes for the list of updates to display.

10. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Frank,

I've been having a conversation with some IT peers, who are advocating for downloading and installing KB3102810. This is supposed to negate the hours wasted waiting for updates, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet as a short-hand method.

I'll let you know how it goes next time I'm working on a vanilla build. I've been using your methodology up 'til now and it's been working a treat.

11. flavallee

It looks like that KB3102810 update was released in November 2015, so I'm guessing one or more of the other KB updates supersede it.
    Keep me posted.
    :D :) (y)

12. flavallee

I was given a 4-year old Dell laptop yesterday that came with Windows 7 Home Premium and which needed a clean reinstall, so I put the steps in post #1 to use again.
    Long story short, the install and update process went fine. (y)

13. howy

howy

Frank,
    I have been out of the loop for a while and just got back around. I wish I saw your post before dealing with windows 7 update nightmares.
    You did an excellent job with your installation guide!

For everyone in general,
    I would like to add that I updated windows normally with the install process and here are my results.....
    It will hang and take a lot longer to do a windows update until EVERYTHING is updated. The key is that Microsoft changed the way windows 7 updates throughout the process (in my opinion). I even had a Microsoft tech who couldn't figure out how to get it working.... go figure.
    So remember it no longer updates quickly until EVERYTHING is completely up to date!
    You have to let it run for around 24 hours (not a typo) and you will then see it updating. I believe it to be a deterrent so people buy the new windows operating system.
    Also, don't install Microsoft security essentials until everything is updated. If your system hangs and doesn't update even after 24 hours, you will have to uninstall Microsoft security essentials and then let windows update run for the 24 hour period.
    Guys this took me weeks of trial patches, waiting for updates, multiple computer installs, and searching the web to find this information..... I really hope you read this before trying to do a clean install of windows 7 and then update through the normal process.
    I didn't try Franks method -which I'm sure works perfectly. If for some reason you use Frank's guide and it doesn't work, you now have another option.

Take Care!

14. flavallee

Except for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 and the necessary drivers, nothing else should be installed until Windows 7 SP1 is up-to-date.
    If the steps are followed correctly and Windows Update is stopped from running before installing each KB update, everything will go fine.
    There's no need to start the "checking for updates" scan and letting it run for hours and hours.
    I've done several test clean installs of Windows 7 SP1, and the scan never ran more than 10 - 15 minutes before displaying the list of updates.

15. flavallee

As a result of some input from one of our other members askey127, the guide for doing a clean install of Windows 7 and getting it completely up-to-date has been reduced by several steps.
    I tested this revised guide yesterday, and it worked fine, and the entire install and update process took me about 4 hours.
    This revised guide is now in post #1.
    Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176121