1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Steps For Installing & Updating Windows 7 SP1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flavallee, Aug 11, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. Chrisss2016

Chrisss2016

First things firtst: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ....... for sharing your insight into this.

I just finished down-grading a Lenovo T440s from Win 10 to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have installed Win 7 countless times and never had an issue with updates. Until yesterday. I spent ALL DAY trying to solve the update issue with countless other "100% guaranteed solutions" on the net that did not work for me, some of which suggested I wait for 24 hours after some steps. Using this guide I followed step by step and had my Win 7 installation fully updated in a couple of hours! no waiting longer than about 5 or 10 minutes to find any of the updates in step 10. One comment, can not stress the importance of following ALL of the instructions. I did not stop the windows update in services (as was required in the guide) and when I tried to download and install the first update I found myself with another endless wait!

For anyone frustrated with endless waits for windows update, follow this guide and get on with your life. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with all of us!

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear the Windows 7 install and update guide worked very well for you.

And thanks for bringing up the importance of first stopping the Windows Update service before installing each of those KB updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I would say to install IE11 before doing the other updates, KB3020369 would not install for me until IE11 installed, which downloads a few additional updates as well.

4. flavallee

The first install/update guide had the install of IE11 early in the process, but after testing askey127's shortened steps, I discovered that installing IE11 early in the process wasn't necessary.
    It appeared in the first batch of about 60 updates and was installed at that time.

5. Holly3278

Holly3278

Hey everyone. My computer seems to be stalling at installing the May 2016 convenience rollup (KB3125574). I let it run for an hour and it didn't make much progress. Initializing installation works fine but it seems to stall during the actual installation. How can I fix this?

6. Holly3278

Holly3278

I just noticed something. I stopped the Windows Update service before trying to install it but I checked the services during the install and somehow the service had become started again. I don't know if that's supposed to happen or what but I hope that's not what's causing the problem.

7. flavallee

The KB3125574 rollup is about 475 MB in size and will take several minutes to install.

We don't know anything about your computer, so that may be affecting the amount of time it takes to install.

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

1) The Windows Update service will automatically restart itself so expect it to start running again.
    2) There is way too much information missing here to really help you and it really should have been done in a new thread.

lochlomonder likes this.
  9. flavallee

Yesterday, I replaced the hard drive in 2 computers and did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 in both.
    The current steps and procedures listed in post #1 were used.
    A "checking for updates" in Windows Update displayed the initial list of about 50 updates a few minutes later.
    After they were installed, a subsequent list of about 10 updates was displayed and installed.
    The entire process for each computer, from start to finish, went fine and took about 3 hours.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176121