1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stereo line-in, then how to make it sound?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by chueh, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I am plugging the 1/8" stereo cable to the audio line-in on my computer to transfer analog audio data from the tape deck to the computer. Ok...then, how, where, and from what program do I hear the sound played? I don't just plug the cable in, hit the play button, and then I would hear sound coming out from the computer speakers, do I? I actually tried, but no sound is coming. How do make it sound on my computer when the tape is played? Thanks.

Same thing with the microphone, no sound came out when I spoke through the microphone. Where should I get the sound from?
    Thanks

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Can you get to here .. (as shown below) .. and make sure Line Volume is not muted ??

To record from an external source .. I'd use the freeware audacity Recorder/Editor ...
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You running Vista or XP ???

Attached Files:

3. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Noyb, Yes, I did check all the volume; and they were all up. Nothing is mute. I ordered a recording software Polderbits, which gets rid of hiss from tape. I have not received it yet. However, I just wanted to try connecting the tape deck tot eh computer to see if any sound would come out. The coming-out-sound shoud not be determined by wheather or not I use a recording software or device, right? It should work now, without the recording software, shouldn't it?

4. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I am using XP

5. stantley

stantley

Depending on the sound card you have, the Recording Control screen might look like the following screen-shot. Make sure you have the select box checked under Line-In. Yes, you should be able to hear the music through your computer speakers even without the recording software.

Attached Files:

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Audacity can record anything your computer is playing .. and edit it.
    YES .. Audacity can even remove Hiss.

But First .. (as Stanley said) .. You need to be able to hear what's coming in your Line-in Jack.
    Are you sure you're hooked up to the light blue jack ???

7. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Yes, i did make sure that the Line-In was selected. I just tried my old computer, which I was about to toss away. It worked fine with he old computer. Can the problems be the laptop (being a laptop), broken sound card, or broken jack? If the sound card is broken, I should not hear any CD I play with it, the alert sounds the laptop makes, or hear anything on Youtube. I have never tried the Line-in jack before, can it be defected already when I bought it????

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Is it still in Warranty ???
    Is there anything plugged into Line Out ??? .. This will shutdown the Laptop sound.
    Can you plug in some headsets (or something) to Line Out and hear it ??

What's the Make N Model of the Laptop ???

9. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Oh........Noyb....Argh......... Now you made me LOOK carefully at my laptop. All my mistakes. I was plugging the cable into the LINE OUT jack for headphone....oh no wonder........... I thought that it was line-in. OK...now the biggest problem occurs. I don't have a line-out jack.!!!!!!! The only 1/8" stereo type/size jacks I have on my laptop were one for microphone and the other for headphone. Is it possible that a laptop does NOT have a line-in jack? I have 9-pin jack, the small thing looking like a mini USB jack, a monitor jack, and several USBs. that's all I have..

No, Noyb, it's an old laptop too, Dell Inspiron/E1405.

10. stantley

stantley

With some laptops the microphone port can also be used as line-in, but I'm not sure if it will work with yours. Try it out, there are no other options.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Like Stanley says ... on my HP laptop, I have to use the mic in jack for the Line In.
    The mic jack has a lot of gain, so you'll probably have to turn the mic volume down.

12. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I tried as you suggested, but nothing happened still. The system could detect the audio device added, when I plugged the cable to the microphone jack. However, no sound came out

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Did you make all the proper setups here .. Gain up and not Muted ??
    Are you sure the external device is playing ??

Attached Files:

14. stantley

stantley

Did you change the recording control selection from line-in to microphone?

15. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Yes, Stantley, I actually tried both the line-in and the microphone. None of them works

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!